Old 10-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Rivet Master
1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Parked with full hookups and full water tank question

Workkamping in Campbellsville, KY ..we have full hookups and our watertank is also full. My question is when winter hits should it stay full or any suggestions? Of course the water should be changed..3 months of old water would not be good either.

badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
If you use the furnace for heat, it will prevent the water in the tanks from freezing. If you use a heat wrap on the water hose, that too will prevent freezing in the hose at moderate freezing temps.

When we are in a park and a freeze is forecast, we fill the tank, use that water, and disconnect the hose because it is easier to deal with, but we rarely have freezing weather lasting more than a few hours.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
We plan on using the furnace and have heat tape and insulation for the hose. Guess next is the age of the water..probably should use it and replace a couple of times. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
WBCCI 8562
1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
We ad a capfull of commercial water treatment to the tank, but I agree after
3 months we drain it. Also we generally used bottled water for drinking.
We plan to be in 21 degree weather part of the winter and use the furnace, also
have a fan to circulate air under the floor. Our unit has a return air door in the bath that send air under the floor back to the furnace, will put a small fan there.
I was surprised to find heat ducts to the holding tanks while doing a recent repair
Jim in Pima Az, enjoying our 1975 31 ft Airstream Sovereign
Jim in Pima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Hmmm. If you have full hook ups, why have any water in the fresh-water holding tank?
Unless you want it for backup as SteveH suggests.
Another tip: Fabricate a fresh-water hose that is just long enough to reach from faucet to trailer without excess. Easier to insulate.
Ken L
2007 Classic Limited 30 (Sold)
2007Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654, Affiliate NM Unit
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sounds like you are doing the Amazon thing? Is this your first time at this?
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would turn off the fresh water hookup, use up what is in your holding tank, then turn the fresh water back on until you are due for temps below 40 or so.

Probably the safest thing to do for winter is to fill your fresh water tank was needed, and keep your hoses inside.

We fill fresh water using the blue water filter, and have never had any problems. It neutralizes the taste of water, from one place to another.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
If I am where it will be down to mid 20's for a few hours overnight and I have full hookups, I just leave the water faucet dripping cold water and heat with electric space heater or furnace.

If I am where it will be down to the mid 20's for more than a few hours I fill the water tank, disconnect and drain the water hose, dump all waste tanks, and run the furnace overnight. On my Safari the sewer dump valves are not protected so I have to dump the tanks and leave the valves open in this situation.

If it's going to be freezing more than a few days, we will be going further south!
2014 Silverado 1500 5.3L maximum trailering package (yes, I'm towing the 34')
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
1984 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
charleton , Illinois
I'm also a Work-kamper with years of using an RV as my home away from home in all seasons.
I would advise you to drain the fresh water tank. Since you have a full hook-up you don't need it. Use a short, heat traced hose as supply. Ky can get quite cold, well below freezing. Keep your grey and black tanks empty as well and your sewer hose as short as possible with no sags to trap and freeze. As emergency water keep 4-5 gallons of water in jugs. I leave mine in the shower (freeze & Bust)as a precaution in case of extended power outages.
Install a tee and shut-off valve at your propane line below the regulator, and have the local propane suppilyer bring you a 100 lb or larger tank to save trips to town for propane. Use your onboard tanks as back-ups.
Hope this helps.
jerry d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master
1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
I am doing the Amazon thing for the first time..been here a month with 9 weeks to go. Experience so far is the people are great campers and Amazon employees.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master
1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
We are parked almost right on top of our hookup and purchased a very short water hose but have purchased the heat tape and insulation as I said before. The campground gets a propane truck to come through. This is their 4-5 yr of operation across the street from the Amazon facility.

Have not decided on what the right thing to do with fresh water tank. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master
1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
If you leave your trailer plumbed to the water supply, overpressure from that side can cause various fittings in your trailer to fail and start leaking. It's best to fill your tank and then valve off the city water. Changing the water in the fresh tank via periodic refills will help to keep down the growth of nasties in it but it still should be treated with every fill up.
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."
Austin, TX "Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #13
Rivet Master
1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Great advice ahead of time for the freezing weather. The lows last nite was high 40's.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
Rivet Master
I lived in NOLA as a kid

Many houses had problems during freezing weather, back then. About 4 years ago we had freezing temps over Fourth of July weekend in Pennsylvania. I think it's the unexpected out of the ordinary cold snap that catches people off guard.

It takes hours for the water to freeze, and a little bit longer for damage to occur. Just in case, you could prepare yourself to do a quick winterizing. Drink bottled water and use a port potty, and campground showers. ( just an option )

mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote