Old 10-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
If you leave your trailer plumbed to the water supply, overpressure from that side can cause various fittings in your trailer to fail and start leaking. It's best to fill your tank and then valve off the city water. Changing the water in the fresh tank via periodic refills will help to keep down the growth of nasties in it but it still should be treated with every fill up.
I agree with this. In fact we have begun doing this on a regular basis even when it's not near freezing... We fill the fresh water tank, use water from the fresh water tank and refill as needed ... keeps the water fresh ... and no danger of over-pressuring anything. It makes even more sense in cold weather.

TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You do not want to leave the black water dump valve open. The liquids will run off, leaving the solids behind.
You should also keep an eye on the dump valves. If they are like most, they are not in a heated space. They will freeze.
The dump valves in my coach are both in the trunk. I can put a small space heater there. It helps, but in extremely cold weather. I doubt it would prevent freezing.
I have used windshield washer fluid to flush the toilet with some success. It most certainly has to be the winter formula.

Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
sanitize and transfer to black tank...

Originally Posted by badkat View Post
We plan on using the furnace and have heat tape and insulation for the hose. Guess next is the age of the water..probably should use it and replace a couple of times. Thanks!
I use my freshwater tank mainly in the is much easier not worrying about a water line freeze. When overnight temps begin to dip into the 30's, I sanitize the FW tank, then transfer the superchlorinated water (via the toilet) to the black tank...sanitizing both at the same time. You don't need to worry about killing beneficial bacteria or other critters in the black tank in the winter. You shouldn't even need to use the deodorizers unless you have super sensitive nose. Like others suggest, just keep your freshwater hose inside with you and fill up every few days. I can go four to five days on 50 gallons if I take navy showers and be careful with the dishwashing. Have fun!

AIR 57698, TAC NM-9.
PhilipKS is offline   Reply With Quote