Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2006, 06:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
NIBCO Shower Valve Replacement Cartridge

After much frustration and some detective work, I was finally able to locate and obtain a replacement plastic cartridge for the NIBCO brand rotating shower valves used in late 1980's Airstreams... NIBCO sold off their consumer home plumbing valve business and no longer offers parts. A couple Airstream and RV shops said they doubted replacement cartridges were available.

This valve uses a rotating mix valve and plastic knob, and requires internal adjustment with a long fine (5/64") allen wrench to stop leaking and get flows correctly balanced. While many may opt to just replace the entire valve with a current model Moen or Delta, the challenge of working with brass and pex fittings in a very small and cramped space made it worth trying to find a replacement cartridge.

The source is Brasscraft, in MI, and their part number is SL-1425. They supply replacement plumbing items for Lowe's and many other plumbing supply places. This unit is rarely stocked, but can be special ordered from Brasscraft by a dealer. Price is less than $20.. Pictures of valve exterior/knob plus cartridge below...

John McG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shwr_Ext.jpg
Views:	1127
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	21348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shwr_Valve_Cart.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	21349  

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #2

kjnk , Alabama
This is a fairly old post now but it helped me greatly; thanks a lot.
When I went to Lowe's to special order this part they were going to charge me $55! They had the part in their Danco book and I also had them call Brasscraft. For both, their cost was around $25, but after Lowe's markup the price was about $55. Thankfully, I checked at a place in Dallas called Teter's Faucet Parts. They had the exact same thing for $19. Their website isn't the greatest, but it has their phone number at least: tetersfaucetparts.com. Here's their phone number to order: 1-800-448-1521.
cbayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
NIBCO shower valves - redux...

Airstream manuals have the adjustment procedure to make sure new valve insert doesn't leak, and also to set max temp point for hot water...

I should probably confess now that I really found Lowe's as hopeless as I've ever encountered with this valve project... Even when I went back with names, phone numbers, photo's of part and model number, our local Lowe's was simply incapable of ordering it.. And yet they admitted they were a high volume Brasscraft dealer.. After another phone call to Brasscraft, they shared my frustration and agreed to send me one directly... (They were GREAT!!)..

If I were starting to find replacement valve cartridge today, I'd pass on Lowe's and try another plumbing supply company..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 06-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Newburgh , New York
What is the connector that accepts the shower hose? We too have an 88 Excella. We adjusted the cartridge which seems to improve. But we are hesitant to disconnect the shower hose . Our wall connector has three parts. We note that yours has two.
rmscottrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Shower hose is Hardware Store Standard

I'm not sure of exact thread size, but we just bought replacement shower head/hose with "course" threads at local Orchard Supply Hardware store plumbing aisle... I think threads are standard, looking like ~ 1/2".. Ours unscrewed from 90 degree fitting coming out of wall.. We added another fitting with rotating valve to cut water to dribble for water-conserving showers... Doesn't need to be "RV-specific" to work, I don't believe.. TO be safe, you could take to store and match threads, as I suspect plumbing at big box home store would have similar hoses and heads...

Old 01-31-2011, 11:45 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
Orlando , Florida
Nibco Cartridge Installation

Hi
You mentioned that the instructions for installing this cartridge are in your 1988 Airstream manual. Where can I look up a copy of that, as I do not have one and need to change out and adjust this assembly?
Thanks,
galadrielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
INstallation and Adjustment for Nibco Shower Valves

I'll try to paste in pdf copies of pages from owner manual...

You are welcome to send priate message with e-mail address that I can reply to and attach pdf copies as well...

Instructions cover setting "Comfort Stop" at high end of temperature rane, and adjustments with 5/64" hex wrench of adjustible stops to control flow when open and turned to close...

Valve body removes and installs from front of valve assembly, after removing know, and trim plate, and other rings holding valve body into valve...

John McG
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Nibco_Install.pdf (25.5 KB, 650 views)
File Type: pdf Nibco_Adjust.pdf (20.7 KB, 578 views)

Old 07-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #8

Santa Clara , California
Condoluminum Thank you so much for the Install and Adjust PDF! I have been looking for these. Believe it or not this same valve package is in my 1 bd condo. Go figure a valve made for Airstreams is in my condo. I also found a "restoration kit" I ordered one check out "homefixitparts.com" part number P10-01-453 ~$70.00 but it has the handle, chrome cover and comes with a cartage. Also Homedepot internet part number 202066459 $31.96 Each Cartridge is made by DANCO Valve is a Nibco Series 600 Tub shower unit. "Phoenix Products" now.
cubane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #9

Santa Clara , California
cubane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Thanks for updating info...

I suspect Airstream was using residential plumbing parts (rather than that your condo builder was using RV parts) and many of the plumbing items can be residential still. We replaced both kitchen and bath sink faucets with single lever mixer valves, from local Orchard Supply hardware store, and they were easy direct replacements, using flexible lines. Glad to know there is new source for these mixer valves and knobs. The one thing I do know is that changing out the valve body in confined space would be a giant pain in the behind, and one project I was very unexcited about having to do, if we hadn't found replacement cartridge...

Shower head units can also be residential, though low flow versions not very much fun with small water pump in trailer... Since we usually shut water to dribble in mid-shower when on the road to avoid filling gray tank too soon, we've had no problems.. Even adjusted properly, our shower valve will occasionally leak intermittent drips in middle of night when connected to city water pressure.. Cure is simply pop shower head out of holder and lay on floor of shower for night..