Old 08-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
Edmond , Oklahoma
So far, I like what I hear! I assumed the pipe runs under the floor because the water pump and city water hookup are on the opposite side of the bathroom and kitchen. I have a service manual, but it is quite difficult to interpret. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
The first item on my aggenda would be to identify if the leak is in the cold water piping or the hot water piping (or both). Close the valve at the water heater or just install a plug if there is no valve. If it is still leaking you have a leak on the cold water side. Now find the leak by following the cold water line. Most piping I have seen is not uder the floor. If I had any copper or gray polybutylene, I would remove it and replace it with Pex. Heck, this trailer is 40 years old. If you are working on the plumbing you may as well change it all to pex. It is not that big of a deal. Pex is easy to work with. The problem with pb piping is that fittings are no longer available; all you can do is install an adopter to go from pb to pex.

Good luck, dan

Old 08-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Cookeville , Tennessee
Plumbing Diagram

Where can I get a plumbing diagram for my 1971 Ambassador? I thought i had all the leaks stopped, but i must have some mystery pipes under the bellypan or in between the floor somewhere.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by L911 View Post
Where can I get a plumbing diagram for my 1971 Ambassador? I thought i had all the leaks stopped, but i must have some mystery pipes under the bellypan or in between the floor somewhere.
A service manual for your trailer will show the intended factory installation. If someone has done something custom in the 39 years of your trailer's existence, then the manual won't help you. I have the manual for 1974 and it covers the Ambassador chassis. I'd be happy to photo the page and post it here if you'll tell me if you have the center or rear bathroom.

It would be helpful if you could tell us where the water is coming from on the trailer. Rear street side? Under the galley? Front curb side? Is it gushing? Is it dripping? On city water or only when on the pump from the fresh tank? Do you see the leak inside the trailer (wet carpet or subfloor) or outside?

Something that I was reminded of when reviewing my service manual is that there is a overpressure valve. This kinda looks like a 90 degree fitting with a knuckle on it. It is near the factory regulator and city inlet. If the valve itself or the regulator fails, it would dump water out of the bottom of the trailer. This is where the location of your water leak would be helpful to know.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Cookeville , Tennessee
Scan

Yes, thank you! I ve been planning on replacing the water valve you mentioned. Im planning on installing a new water inlet & pressure regulator from camping world. I'm getting a leak below the rear waste tank all clear water & not all the time either. Also the shower has almost no pressure, i think thats the shower control valve though.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by L911 View Post
Yes, thank you! I ve been planning on replacing the water valve you mentioned. Im planning on installing a new water inlet & pressure regulator from camping world. I'm getting a leak below the rear waste tank all clear water & not all the time either. Also the shower has almost no pressure, i think thats the shower control valve though.
I still need to know which floor plan you have in order to upload the right picture.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
When I first got my trailer and turned on the city water, the pressure relief valve at the rear location dumped water right on the ground under the trailer. I thought before I replaced it I'd open it up and take a look. When I opened it up, I could see the plunger over opened and caught on the edge of the seat rim. I gave it a little push and it dropped back down into it's seat. I reinstalled it and it never leaked again.

I guessed that the previous owner had used shop air pressure to winterize the trailer and the blast of 120 psi air pressure pushed the plunger up out of it's seat.

`
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Cookeville , Tennessee
The pipes were split everywhere in hidden places of course.