Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Fall River , Massachusetts
Newbie looking for some advice on waste tanks and plumbimg in general.

Hello all,

I am the recent proud owner of a 1961 or according to the previous owner, despite the vehicle id number (J1246120) a 1966 Tradewind International.

I am not sure if there is a proper medical condition for being obsessed with Airstreams, but I have it and want to go on the record as saying a name for this condition should exist.

I have started to gut the interior and have opened up a can of worms, most of which I can handle but I am stumped on the plumbing and in particular how to best design a black/gray water waste system.

From what I have read, airstream only put a black water tank in my model year. I would like to upgrade to a black/gray system but have been spending sleepless nights trying to find a configuration that works with the room I have.

The dimensions of the area I have to work with is between the last two steel trailer supports measuring approximately 57' long, by 28" wide, by 7" deep. I think, I stress think I have a solution with two 11 gallon tanks (28" X 22" x 6.5" each) but I am not sure if 11 gallons is enough for each of the tanks. I am not sure if I have to stay within the 7" height of the steel support or if the tanks can protrude past the steel beams.

My next dilemma is trying to find the room to connect the two tanks with the appropriate shut off valves and dump drain. I have researched a product by Valterra which seems to look like what I need but I am unsure. Each of the drains are offset about 5 inches which is making it difficult to get enough ABS in there to make the proper connection.

Has anyone installed a similar system in a similar trailer that may be able to help? Any diagrams out there? I appreciate any help and look forward to learning more so maybe I could help folks out one day.

Thank you,

Todd

Sairaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
If you put both tanks behind the axle you will change the tongue weight and it may handle wierd.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:49 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Fall River , Massachusetts
Hmm, hadn't thought of that. I just assumed that it wouldn't be an issue since it originally had one large tank around the same size as the two smaller ones I intended to install.

Not sure how to even approach this issue since all bathroom components are in the rear of the trailer past the axle. Thanks for you insight.
Sairaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing, tub, black tank