Old 09-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by southsaglejim View Post
Assume I am primarily without sewer hookup, and not wanting to haul external tanks anywhere, I want my showers in my Airstream, I want to use the external water supply but not my fresh water tank, and I take 5 day trips,dump every two days and will clean/rinse my grey and black tanks when I get home. Can I leave the cap on my discharge tube and open both tank valves intending to "equalize" the tanks (have the tanks share the total waste) by having the larger volume in the grey tank flow into the black tank. Will it physically work? Why is that a bad idea if it will physically work and I am willing to do the extra cleaning at home at the end of the trip and disposal at home is no issue whatever.
DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

But if you do, please come back to this thread and post your results.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
We have two small children and they love to run the water. We bought a portable holding tank this year and it works great. You can hook the Handel over the hitch of your TV and SLOWLY drive it to the dump station. Much easer than moving the trailer.

I would also discourage mixing the tanks.

You could also pick only camp grounds with full hook ups. Then you can just leave your grey valve open.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 09-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
You could also pick only camp grounds with full hook ups. Then you can just leave your grey valve open.
Even if you camp at a full-hookup campground, when it comes time to empty your black tank, let the gray tank fill so that you can dump black first, then gray, so the soapy gray water rinses the slinky.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Yepers..

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We've all been there ... the grey tank always fills up before the black tank ... which makes sense. All used water except that for flushing the toilet goes into the grey tank. (There are a few models where the vanity sink drains into the black tank, bu the way.)

Water conservation when camping without sewer hookups is a must, but it's not that difficult to do: navy showers, using paper plates, using a dish pan to wash dishes, rinsing clean dishes efficiently, putting the used dish water down the toilet (sans silverware, of course!), cooking on a grill outside to cut down on pots and pans ... all ways to extend the time between grey tank dumps ...

We use a dish pan for dish washing, so we wipe down dirty dishes with a paper towel (which also helps minimize "gunk" in the grey tank) and "store" them in the dish pan until we have enough to wash ... that way we aren't washing dishes every time we have a meal, so we wash dishes only once a day, if that.

While allowed in fewer and fewer places, in some locations it is OK to drain grey water onto the ground ... but you should check before doing it ... Some parks clearly forbid it ... if that's not the case, you can ask a park volunteer or ranger if it's allowed.

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote