Old 03-10-2014, 08:57 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 20
Kingsville , Ontario
new water lines

Alright so, I've read enough here to know everyone says switch to PEX, so I spent the weekend doing just that, and so far so good.

I got the the point where I need to feed the PEX through the floor of my trailer (73 20' Argosy) for the potable water hook up, and what did I find between the floor and belly pan.... an ancient watts pressure release valve.

Question with PEX, do I really need a pressure release valve?

Old 03-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
new water lines

I run no regulator or "safety" at all on my PEX equipped trailer with house fixtures.

Where I keep the trailer the pressure is frequently over. 100 PSI

I figured a regulator would just be another thing to fail.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
I use an external pressure regulator in line with the supply hose. Works fine. Available at RV supply stores.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The less hardware in hard to get places the better. When I replaced all of the copper in my coach, I removed all of that type of stuff, including the drain valves.
All that remains is the 3 valve bypass setup, plus a city water and house water shut off. All are in one place with easy access.
Winterizing is a snap. Blow out the lines and pump in anti freeze.
Plus draining holding tanks and water heater.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
I'm doing the same roostreamer. And at the same junction. I've heard a lot mixed reviews and I've come to terms. I would rather sleep with piece of mind knowing I won't be waking up to a mini flood in my rig due to a popped line ,after spending 2 yrs to get everything ship shape. So its a watts n55b m1 for me.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
new water lines

I looked at it this way, PEX is for houses, and every house I have ever seen does not have a pressure regulator.

Has anyone beside me tried to remove a crimped PEX connection?

The bond is incredibly strong. I have gotten them apart, but it is more trouble than it is worth.

I store my trailer in a commercial building right next to a fire sprinkler stand pipe. The stand pipe has a gauge on both sides of a check valve, one routinely reads 100+ psi, the other 120+ psi.

I say don't worry about PEX failing too much. Stock fixtures however may benefit from a regulator.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:42 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Cypress , Texas
I used the updated version of the watts regulator that I purchased new at Home Depot. And ran the entire mess in new PEX tubbing I love the way it went back together and using the original switches to change flow just as designed based upon the needs of the plumbing system. so far as I've seen so far PEX is the best
Old 04-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
I went to home depot here in Canada and asked them for a regulator. They had no idea what I was talking about. Lol

Sent from my LG-E617G using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 04-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I looked at it this way, PEX is for houses, and every house I have ever seen does not have a pressure regulator.

Has anyone beside me tried to remove a crimped PEX connection?

The bond is incredibly strong. I have gotten them apart, but it is more trouble than it is worth.
I use a Dremel tool with a cut off blade to cut the crimp ring. It seems to be the only way to remove it.

I also have removed and not replaced the watts pressure regulator on several of my Airstreams. It is just one more thing to get in the way and leak if old or frozen. As has been said, virtually no homes have pressure regulators. I think most of the spigot to RV hoses would fail far quicker than the interior plumbing.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:23 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
If you do a search on youtube to remove the crimp ring you will see its actully simple with yellow snips.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' International
Cincinnati , Ohio
OMG - I fought with a crimp ring in the narrow cabinet under our kitchen sink for over 45 minutes with one arm since I could not fit both in the small space. Used snips, screwdrivers, blades, hacksaw blade (since I could not fit the whole saw in there), dremel with cut off disc all with no luck. Now, having said all of that I neglected to mention it was at a Tee connector. Got mad and we cut off the line just past the Tee with a flat blade on a Fine and gee, the Tee was split. I was not feeling very lady-like during this endeavor!!
Husband went ahead and cut the other two lines, so now I'm trying to find a 1/2" x 3/8" x 1/2" replacement tee.
I would like to replace all of our lines because they are what we think are the original ones, but will try to wait until later fall hoping we can use it after this fix.
I was also concerned about one line that runs under the kitchen floor and one that runs under (or in front of?) our center bath shower.