Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
Cody , Wyoming
New grey tank use for fresh water?

Hello all.. We are redoing our 54 cruiser. Putting in all new tanks and plumbing. Curious if anyone has used a new grey tank for fresh water? We are wanting to place it in the frame and we found the correct dimensions with a grey tank. Couldn't we use it for our fresh? Thanks for any input.
jtfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
As long as it is rated for fresh water use. The reason we have special water hoses and not just any garden hose. Now if you were to never drink the water or use it in cooking, it wouldn't matter. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
Cody , Wyoming
We would mainly use it for showers and washing dishes. No consumption. Can I ask why if it's new wouldn't it be okay for cooking?( just curious to the reason) are they made with different material?
jtfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
If you are looking at the grey water tanks available from VTS, then they are made of roto-molded polyethylene, which is the same stuff fresh water tanks are typically made of, and therefore no problem using it (in terms of materials, chemicals, etc.).

The beauty of a fresh water tank is that it does not need to be below your lowest drain (ie., the shower) like a grey tank, so you can be more liberal with the size and shape of the tank and put it under cabinetry. But, what the heck, the 70's trailers had the FW tank under the floor as well.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Post number 4 answers the question about drinking the water. As long as the tank is rated for drinking water it would be fine. Jim
Old 06-16-2015, 06:25 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The key phrase to look for is "food grade." This term is used for plastics that meet American National Standards Institute/National Sanitary Foundation (ANSI/NSF) Standard 14.

ANSI/NSF Standard 14 "Plastics Piping Components and Related Materials" applies to thermoplastic and thermoset plastics piping system components in contact with potable water and primarily addresses physical properties of plastic components in piping and plumbing systems.

What this means is that:
1 - The plastic is made of a compound that will not degrade over time or leach harmful chemicals into the water:
2 - The plastic did not come into contact with any materials that could contaminate the surface during manufacture. For example, the machinery used to manufacture the tank was lubricated with a food-grade grease, not motor oil.

You can't be certain that a tank manufactured as a gray tank is necessarily food grade even if it's made out of the same material as a freshwater tank, unless it meets that second "food grade" requirement.

So look for the "food grade" buzzwords while shopping for your new tank.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Thanks, that's what I couldn't remember. Food grade. Jim
Old 06-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
jtfink: I have a 1958 Caravanner 22'. I believe in KISS. Your 1954 and my 1958 are true classics and production was limited. Your 54 is , hands down, the smartest trailer Airstream ever built. The whale tail, while interesting, perhaps fewer were but built not as near prefect as the 126 built in Ohio. Why? (1) size, longest? single axle (2) rear twin beds, each with a side window plus 3rd in rear (3) excellent roof lines with 2 roof vents (5) tank toilet (6) bath set up (7) large salon roadside window w/ 2 front swing opens (8) Hehr lever type (9) over rear bumper hatch (10) smaller frig (11) right hinged door (12) best kitchen. I would commit murder for a cruiser. DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING. eMail me and I'll explain how I set up my Caravanner for work-arounds lrahnmajusafret@gmail.com Larry
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote