Old 05-13-2003, 01:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
Need some help and suggestions on bathroom

We are full-time in our Airstream, which makes the following a little more difficult so any suggestions are most welcome.

We discovered a few months back that the Black Tank is damaged somewhere near the top of the tank. We haven't used the tank unless we're hooked up to sewer and only let it fill to a certain before dump it; this has been working without any problem. It appears the break or crack is at the top of the tank.

The bathroom was worked on at some point in the trailers life and part of the floor was replaced improperly. Instead of putting the plywood above the track it was put in below the track and the floor dips down a bit as you walk into the bathroom - this may be causing some of the problems with the BT.

The thing is that my husband and I travel for work and we're in the middle of a busy schedule, living in the trailer and don't have thousands of dollars for someone to fix this. We're pretty good do-it-yourselfers, but what are we in for here?

Recently the toilet began to act up a little too. The foot lever that closes that trap in the bottom of the toilet seems to hang up a bit and the trap now does not close all the way and the toilet rocks just a little. There's no leaks around the toilet though. IT's a china-bowl by the way.

We have not been able to find anyone who can explain or any information about how to drop the belly pan. I've read posts where people say "drop the belly" but don't indicate how to go about that. I've even asked directly and still no detailed explanation.

If we tear into this and it takes six months to complete [like the last time we tore into problems when we first purchased the trailer] we're, anyone have any ideas?

escapeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 01:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
If the tank is all the way at the back of the trailer below floor (our 59 is above floor) here is what you have to do as it was explained to me and after looking at it intently I agree.

The rear rub rail has to be removed. The rivits from the area where the belly pan is seamed from the side wall. have to be removed. The inner cabinets need to be removed and the lowest section of interrior skin removed.. Wit hthe inner skin and the outer rivits removed you han work the rear section of belly pan down. If you need to replace any wood floor then you will need to cut the togle bolts through the floor in the center and and un do the lag bolts that will be visable with the inner skin out.

The trick I have been told to install new floor is to strap down the rear most section of frame to something heavy then lower the tounge jack till you have just enough room between the body and frame to slide your new wood in.

If you hit the photo section William Henshell has a complete set of photos of removing the body to replace the floor. It will give you a good understanding of how the camper is assembled and make it clear what is needed.
Now if you have to work past where the walls curve to the rear then you have to do the senter different. The U track has a different shape in that area.
I'll be doing this exact repair and possibly more in the next couple months. I will be documenting it.

1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 12:05 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
59Toaster, thanks for the reply. I am going to do a search nwo for the William Henshell photos to see what I can.

Do post what your repairs entail - we plan to do the same.

We've done many things to this trailer thus far and have documented everything.

Now to go have a look....
escapeez is offline   Reply With Quote