Old 09-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
brewster , New York
Need help winterizing

Can I winterize my trailer if I don't own a compressor to blow out the water lines? Also what else is required ex: antifreeze in drains etc.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Yes. You can pump RV anti freeze into the system. But it will take more antifreeze because you will dilute it when pushing the water out.
Bypass and drain the water heater.
Empty all holding tanks; FW,GW and BW.
Antifreeze in the sink(s) and shower traps. If you have a FW filter be sure to remove it or bypass it. Drain the filter container of any clear water.
Be sure to flush the toilet until the pink stuff comes out, leave some in the bowl to keep the seal wet.
Most recommend not putting Antifreeze in the FW tank. Drain it. Then disconnect the supply side (inlet) to the pump. Connect a hose to the pump to suck the antifreeze out of the 1 gallon jug(s).
Most systems take around 2 gallons of antifreeze. Since you are not blowing the lines out it may take a couple more gallons because of dilution.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
brewster , New York
Thank you , how would I pump it through the system?
Old 09-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Use your on board water pump to do it. Take off the input tube from the pump and Put on a longer piece that you can dip into the gallon bottles ofRV antifreeze setting on the floor. Turn on the pump and it goes into the trailer. open each faucet, one at a time, and shut them when the liquid is no longer clear. Also flush the toilet and use the sprayer. Same thing with the shower.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
If no compressor, do you have wet dry vac? Can you put hose on EXHAUST??? That will blow lines.. Do you have leaf blower? That helps too. High speed not a lot of pressure,,, that will move water...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
If no compressor, do you have wet dry vac? Can you put hose on EXHAUST??? That will blow lines.
If you don't have a compressor, it's worth getting one. Not only can you use it to winterize, but also air up the tires on your trailer and tow vehicle. The one I have is a Craftsman portable with a 1.5-gallon air tank, that plugs into a 120vAC outlet, and costs less than $100 at K-mart or Sears. It only weighs 25 pounds and stores easily due to its small size.

Of course, there are many other portable compressors on the market, so pick the one you like the best, but by all means, if you can afford a compressor, buy one.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Land Yacht
Oakton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If you don't have a compressor, it's worth getting one. Not only can you use it to winterize, but also air up the tires on your trailer and tow vehicle. The one I have is a Craftsman portable with a 1.5-gallon air tank, that plugs into a 120vAC outlet, and costs less than $100 at K-mart or Sears. It only weighs 25 pounds and stores easily due to its small size.

Of course, there are many other portable compressors on the market, so pick the one you like the best, but by all means, if you can afford a compressor, buy one.
Larger compressors draw a lot of amps at startup, especially in cooler weather. I winterized last year with my four-gallon compressor, but it drew too much current (about 30 amps at startup) to start up using my undersized generator. I had to drive to the house, plug in, and fill up the dual tanks three times in order to blow out all of the water lines.

As a reminder, these can always be rented or borrowed.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
brewster , New York
how about hot water tank?

Thank you all, as usual a wealth of useful information. I bought two gallons of RV antifreeze at Home Depot and will follow your instructions for winterizing. How about the hot water tank? I should drain that too.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Yes! Drain it. Bypass the water heater before winterizing.