Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Seattle , Washington
Need Help to Trouble Shoot Leak

I purchased a 1978 Ambassador and noticed a while back waater dripping from the undercarriage out a hose about a foot or so in from the rear right tire....never had any internal leaking. Well, we had a bad freeze and bathroom floor was wet....I unfroze and left bathroom faucet dripping and floor dried up.....with warmer weather I turned off the faucet in the bathroom and this morning floor was wet again....which leads to believe it has to do with pressure and need areas to double check...nothing is visibly broken from back hatch with take outs for waste all lines seem tight.....
PS we are using ac heater fan from roof
Thoughts
drowning in Seattle
mdsarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It is the ac drain hose.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Seattle , Washington
I was told the ac relief hose was by the wheel it self this farther in...thoughts on how to trouble shoot...is there a relief valve hose for the water system?
Old 12-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
There is no physical connection between the faucet and the air conditioner drain line, so I do not believe the drain line is the culprit for the wet floor. The key seems to be the fact that the leak stopped when the faucet was open, and came back when the faucet was closed.

Meaning that it's in the water lines that serve the faucet. Possibly a split in a flexible hose, a split that opens under pressure and closes when the faucet relieves the pressure. Could be a loose hose clamp on a barbed fitting. If the faucet is old enough to still have washers, it could be deteriorated washers, or if it's a washerless faucet, it could be damaged valve seats inside the facuet. Any of these could cause a leak that occurs only when the faucet is closed. But it's definitely somewhere in the plumbing for that faucet, and somewhere above the floor level.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
It could also be the faucet itself. If it was allowed to freeze at some point it could have a small crack, possibly around the connection where the water line is attached. It's odd though that water is coming out of a hose. It should be easy enough to pull the faucet and determine if that is the culprit. Also, if you have a hot and cold shut off valve below the faucet, turn those off and see if the leak continues. You said you noticed the wet floor issue after the freeze, but the drain line was dripping prior to the freeze, correct? If so, you may have 2 issues to deal with. I would think the wet floor problem would be the easiest and most important to find and repair.
In any case, figure 5 trips to the hardware store. Unless it's the AC.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Seattle , Washington
Leak

This might help illustrate the hose under the bottom that you can see where its dripping from...always consistent.......The faucet and area under the sink seems OK...although spray foam has been used which I will have to carve out....but no real wet areas...what's this hose all about and how do I trouble shoot it...any thoughts..there is always water under it and the rear of the camper...or damp spots.....the AC Drains by the left tires and is usually dry........must say I am at a loss....

Old 12-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
My Argosy had a drain valve which was supposed to be used, I assume, to drain the water lines. It was located on the floor of the closet in the bathroom. Both hot and cold were routed to it. It connected to a hose which then exited through the belly pan. Perhaps this is what you have and the valve is not sealing correctly - or perhaps not. I got rid of mine when I re-plumbed the whole trailer with PEX as it didn't fully drain the lines and was pretty much useless.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Seattle , Washington
Leak

That sounds the closest yet....when I bought it before the owner "blew Dodge"....he mentioned that it might be the relief valve in case you hook up to too much pressure and it doesn't blow anything...but I couldn't find it...and have looked where you are mentioning....
Old 12-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Frozen cracked copper water line?

The pressure relief valve will corrode and leak with age.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Seattle , Washington
Leak

No I checked that...but with warmer water I am going to install sharkbites and pex...shouldn't take too long.....better to forestall anything down the road being pro active.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Looks like a low drain hose. There is usually a low drain on the suction hose coming from the fresh water tank and sometimes one on the pressure side.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote