Old 10-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
orlando , Florida
Need help please with plumbing

This is a 75 31' sovereign rear bath with leaks by fresh water intake and pressure reducers.I am considering a proffesional for this but would like to know if this is something i can do myself.I have a background in irrigation and a/c work fathers business so im capable but before i cut away this plumbing would like advice.Im attempting to send a picture first timer.Thanks for any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream pictures 020.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	142264  

Old 10-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofdtruckie View Post
This is a 75 31' sovereign rear bath with leaks by fresh water intake and pressure reducers.I am considering a proffesional for this but would like to know if this is something i can do myself.I have a background in irrigation and a/c work fathers business so im capable but before i cut away this plumbing would like advice.Im attempting to send a picture first timer.Thanks for any advice.
If there is a small flow of water thru a pipe that comes out of the underbelly, you should find that the high pressure pop-off valve has decided to go south.

It's the brass valve that's closest to the floor in your photo.

They are available from an Airstream parts stocking dealer.

Andy

Old 10-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
orlando , Florida
thanks andy.It appears all the leaks are small but from different spots around that big valve on top and from freshwater hookup.It appears to be rubbery sleeves on some pipes and maybe some jb weld or something on others.I just thought about cutting that whole area out and starting fresh from intake to cross pipes that go along back what ya think and is that big valve a pressure reducer.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
orlando , Florida
More stuff,im crawling around checking and what ive found is a lot of frame rust no leaks that ive found yet besides the ones mentioned,The curbside lower panel by step back to wheel weld is rusted gone and wet.The rivets are no longer attached to aluminum wrap on bottom.The panel is hollow except a few copper lines should there be insulation there?Also wheel well on curbside has open holes which need closed to prevent critters from entering any ideas would be great.Also what is in the center of the AS with channel iron in a square.Is that the holding tank if so could that be leaking all around the sub floor.The most rust is in the area around door underneath .There was a rotten spot in front of door which someone replaced.We just had 3 days of rain and the only moisture is under main flooralong frame how could water be there with no water attached and i havent towed AS anywhere.I really appreciate having a place to vent about this yall are a big help for us newbys.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
orlando , Florida
Oh here are a few more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream pictures 003.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	142301   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream pictures 005.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	142302  

Name:	airstream pictures 006.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	142303   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream pictures 007.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	142304  

Old 10-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
orlando , Florida
Talking

Its getting crazy now! i might need to go to another section of the forum for this but all iwanted to do was clean alittle and make it smell better so i started and whala a wet spot in front of door about 3 ft and to the right soaked and under pull out.i cant find a leak anywhere.I think its coming from curbside wall in front of fridge going toward front.Not to soft yet but i pulled carpet and now im stuck.2 weeks till ipull out to go hunting and it'll be in one place for 4 months just dont want problems away from home.I again appreciate any advice except take it to scrap yard.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
orlando , Florida
forgot pictures here they are.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream pictures 010.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	142311   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream pictures 011.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	142312  

Name:	airstream pictures 012.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	142313   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream pictures 013.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	142314  

Old 10-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
orlando , Florida
Ok thats it for today i searched all around for leaks.window rubber seals are cracked pretty bad but cant see anything else above.If skylights leak would they leak straight down or down walls and out onto floor.No water behind fridge or under sink.i guess three solid days of hard rain will definitely expose problems.Thanks for hearing me.My wifes already had enough.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Get a dehumidifier going in there - they are heaters too in effect so close it up and let it go...

if like you say the window gaskets are good - Have you cleaned the window gasket & its mating surface, and then applied spray silicone, the clear stuff that the carrier dries off leaving behind a film of silicone?

Alcoa gutter seal is a good quick fix for gaps in shell aluminum sheet overlaps, and to refresh the bedding window glass sets in, as well as fill in the gasketing crushed between the window frames and shell sheets. I used a dremel type rotary tool with a 1/32nd thick SS wire wheel to clean out those areas and laid in a thin film bead of Alcoa Seal pretty much everywhere, its tricky stuff, one chance to get it laid on evenly or its wait until its dry and try again - but it is a hidden cheat, err, helper when trying to get things dry.

And no - the skylights can have problems that telegraph water down the liners, as can the TV aerial and the A/C and the plumbing vent stacks, etc..

Seriously get on the plumbing stacks, the cast aluminum vents have a drain hole flush with the shell that gets plugged easy - and the rubber gasket dries out and fails sooner than later.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
orlando , Florida
window gaskets are very bad have cracks all the way around and theirs water lines or brownish like lines on the interior walls in the front room. The person that had camper thought it would be a good idea to fill vent holes with spray foam.Took me a few hours today digging it out and sucking out with vacuum.Also they had window with worst water area siliconed shut around window.I'm hoping to fix the problems they rigged right.I guess i need to find gasket kit for windows.I just hope thats it, the back rooms didnt leak even with bad gaskets.Thanks for info.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
There's a punch-list of required maintenance to have a watertight trailer and it's actually pretty simple. In abstract . . . re-do everything from the roof to the beltline. New air conditioner seal; inspect air conditioner pan and drain tube; replace gaskets and reseal sewer vents; new roof vent sealant, gaskets, and lids; re-seal the television antenna and lead wire entry; seal all seams; check for loose or missing rivets; seal awning channel; seal all window frames; replace all window and door gaskets; inspect and seal the vista windows; check and seal the belt molding.

I had one leak that I couldn't locate. I had to remove the inside skin and sit in the trailer during an overnight thunderstorm on a farmer's milking stool with a poacher's light. The leak was a midway seam corner that looked perfect from the outside. I used a LOT of Vulkem 116 inside and I sealed the side skin seams.

My trailer's had no leaking since I redid everything last summer. BUT it's been sitting in the shop yard undergoing construction of a new interior. When I tow it, maybe I'll find some leaks. I feel confident that now I know how to fix them.

Airstreams like mine are very good at hiding their leaks. When leaks are discovered, Airstreams like mine are very good at hiding the source of the leaks.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
To be quick cleaning off the old window gaskets, a quick scrape and then a power drill with a fine 3-inch wire wheel to erase the old adhesive off

Beware the new gaskets are a little spendy - Inland RV is a good source...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
orlando , Florida
Thanks guys i already wrote down my purchase for tomorrow at one of the two places.vintage trailer supply seems a bit cheaper on window gaskets i think .Ill try both for prices tomorrow.Wasnt gonna change carpet to wood but the leak made me pull the carpet.Oh well.Wood it is need to stop leak first.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
orlando , Florida
Andy I have to say those are the nicest and most helpful people at inland rv ive ever talked to. her name was Bonnie they have my business from now on.Thanks