Old 09-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
My hand drawn schematic - adding grey water tanks & upgrading black tank

Trying to get a schematic together for the following:

- Adding two grey water tanks (above axles). Using two 4" high tanks, about 15 gallons each, connected together.

- Removed old black tank. Will be replacing with an above deck black tank.

Will be using VTS for tanks and need a little help making sure I have the plan correct.

Attaching my hand drawn schematic here, looking for feedback if possible. Thanks!

Plumbing schematic:

gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:07 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
I would suggest a valve between the two grey water tanks. In case you travel with those tanks partially full, they aren't flowing back and forth. That was my reasoning for putting one between my grey water tanks.

Depending on the size of your black water tank, you might want to consider draining the bath sink into it. You'll find the issue of adding grey water to the black water tank has opponents and proponents if you search the forum. I did it, but I have a 19 gallon black water tank below the floor.

I theorized the rear grey fills the fastest (bath tub w/ shower), shorter routing of sink drain (situated on opposite side vs. tub and rear grey is under bedroom), and more soapy liquid reduces solids sticking to tank.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Once over 1/2 full will the non vented tank continue to fill?
Old 09-18-2018, 08:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: Adding grey water capacity to our vintage Airstreams is a worthy project. I believe it add significant value over a portable tank.

It is a big project, and one that often leads to subfloor repair, new subfloor insulation, new plumbing layouts, new tank level monitors, new belly pans and the like.

I looked at your sketch, and it appears the two grey tanks will not drain completely. Many RV holding tanks are shaped with a taper and the drain on the low side. Maybe it is just a rough sketch.

And then there is the above floor black tank. My son's 69 Globetrotter 21' has one. I have only seen them with bottom discharge ports. Your sketch implies a rear bath model vintage Airstream. Thus the sewer hose connection is on the bottom of the trailer. Not handy in my view. My son has scrapped his blade valve and discharge port off the trailer twice as he traverses an incline and the rear of the trailer is on the skid rails.

I configured a below the frame rail side drain manifold on my 66 vintage Airstream. Maybe all new Airstreams have side drain sewer hose connections. I added a new grey tank and a new black tank. Both had 27 gallon volumes. I drained the bath sink in to the black tank to help keep it wet and add grey water capacity. I had to fabricate an aluminum "pan" to help protect the tanks from cold weather and road debris.

Just another approach to adding grey water capacity. There are many.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1404 Waste Tanks Installed (Small).JPG
Views:	31
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	322937   Click image for larger version

Name:	1708 Sale Hook Ups (Small).JPG
Views:	31
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	322938  

WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:31 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
Close to what I did

I went basically the same way as you're proposing and same tanks. Except I didn't put in a black tank, going to use a composting toilet.
I connected the two tanks together with 1 1/2" PVC (no valve between). Put tank heaters on the bottom of each. Used Hepvo valve between the dump valve and sink / shower drains.The dump valve will exit out the bottom and sits inside the frame. The handle goes through the frame and out the belly pan. See pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180310_150202.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	501.6 KB
ID:	322981   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180212_193935.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	322982  

Name:	IMG_20180310_150218.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	500.1 KB
ID:	322983  
Old 09-20-2018, 12:20 AM   #6
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Using a compost toilet will free up the black tank and come close doubling your grey water capacity. I just put a cap with a water hose fitting on the sewer drain and leave both valves open and let them fill together. You could add a Valtera slide valve to your drain insteat of a cap/water hose fitting.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:00 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Wrapping my head around all the spin fittings that i'm going to need. Can you guys chime in on whether or not I have it correct?

This is just what I'm thinking (and I'm clearly not a plumber)

1. Tank connections - so I can connect the two grey tanks together. I was told to use something flexible here, to avoid cracking.

2. Rear vent - do both tanks need to be vented?

3. Kitchen sink inlet

4. Shower inlet

5. Bathroom Sink inlet

6 & 7. Clean out - on the underside. Clean out access so you can throw a hose in there in case stuff gets gross.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:01 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
Using a compost toilet will free up the black tank and come close doubling your grey water capacity. I just put a cap with a water hose fitting on the sewer drain and leave both valves open and let them fill together. You could add a Valtera slide valve to your drain insteat of a cap/water hose fitting.
guskmg

I'd LOVE to do away with the black tank, but i have kids (that love to not follow instructions). I don't think they can handle a compost toilet. I'd love to be sold otherwise. What do you think?
Old 09-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
What year and size Airstream so you have? Because you said 4” thick tanks I think you have a 60’s.

I added two 21 gallon tanks in the frame of my ‘71 Sovereign. 1.5” angle iron spans the frame to hold the tanks in place.

The shower and bath sink drain into the rear tank and the kitchen sink into the front tank, like your diagram. My inlets are on the curbside like your diagram. I didn’t add venting to the tanks but kept the kitchen and bathroom venting original.

For draining I have 1.5” coming out the bottom of each tank on the streetside, then connected together, then an adaptor to 3” and the Valterra valve. I only have 2 spin fittings, one for in and one for out.

I wanted the tanks to be connected so they fill evenly but it couldn’t be done if the tanks were next to each other in the frame. There was not enough space to connect them.

I did 10 days boondocking and it worked perfectly.
CaCraig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
I have a similar double tank configuration for my auxiliary gray storage. I suggest putting the connection between the two tanks off to one side, preferably the same side as the drain. That way if you want to more fully drain your tanks, you can tilt your rig to the drain side. If you have the connection in the center, your rig will need to be perfectly level to drain properly, and even then, you'll have a bunch of water left in the tank since the fittings aren't going to be perfectly flush with the tank bottom.

And yes, both tanks need their own vent or they won't fill/drain freely.
TheGreatleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
updated schematic

Here's an updated drawing after consulting with a few people that seem to know what they are doing

Few key things going on here:

- Inlets should be protruding so we can use entire tank (if fittings went in, you could not)

- Use of fernco flex coupler between tank connection

- Protruding clean out (so it can fully clean out)

- backfeeding shower and bath vanity sink into rear tank. (thought this was very smart)