Old 10-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #15

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
It seems there's still a question of why the black-tank flush system is filling the gray tank (and the OP says it's backup up through the shower drain, so definitely seems to be filling the gray.) Unless the dump valves are open with the sewer cap on tight, I don't see how the black-flush system would be putting water in the gray tank, or does it flush both holding tanks?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
From re-reading the above, I am not sure it's entirely clear that it's the grey tank that is filling. In my trailer, the grey and black tanks are not connected, except at the dump valves.

In any case I don't think it really matters - it's pretty clear he's connecting his city water supply to the wrong inlet on the trailer.

1999 27' Safari + 2011 Mercedes GL 350 Turbo-diesel
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
I did the same thing before I caught it. I've since used a label maker to mark everything in plain english..black dump, gray dump, city water, black tank flush. I don't know why it 'isn't so' already.

Philip
Old 10-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
From the 2012 Classic owners manual on the airstream website...

Black Tank Flush
Inside the underbelly utility compartment is a water hose connector for the “black tank flush”. To use, hook up a hose and turn it on full force. Within the tank a head with multiple holes will spray the interior surface of the tank. A vacuum breaker and one-way valve is located inside the trailer above the exterior connection to prevent the black water from escaping to the hose connection. In most models this will place them under the lavatory.
The gate valve should be closed for the first couple of minutes, and then opened to let the water out in a rush. Close the gate valve and repeat as needed.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruker View Post
From re-reading the above, I am not sure it's entirely clear that it's the grey tank that is filling. In my trailer, the grey and black tanks are not connected, except at the dump valves.

In any case I don't think it really matters - it's pretty clear he's connecting his city water supply to the wrong inlet on the trailer.
It could fill the gray tank, I believe ONLY after the black tank is full, toilet closed, and under city pressure back up into the gray/black tank SHARED vent stack and then flow down into the gray tank.....BUT the black tank would be over full as well as the gray tank full.

When both get full water could come out the shower drain....but if you try and flush the toilet, water will rush up into the bowl rapidly due to the head built up in the vent stack and some pressure in the black tank.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
That would make sense if the black and grey tanks are connected at a shared vent. In my trailer, a 1999, there are separate vents for black and grey, and no connections between the two tanks other than at the dump valves.

It would actually makes sense for Airstream to plumb this way, as part of adding a black tank flushing system - running the black tank flusher for too long would completely fill the black tank, which would then overflow into the grey tank, and then the grey tank would overflow into the shower stall, where you would see and smell the water. Better than the black tank just overflowing out of the top of the toilet - which would be a disastrous mess. But I have no idea if it actually works this way. I am sure someone here knows for sure.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
OP has a new 30' Classic. I believe it is plumbed exactly like mine....not positive, but I can't imagine them changing it. Mine has one shared vent stack, curbside in the closet/shower stall wall.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Apparently you guys are correct. Airstream has switched the city water and black tank flush. The dealership and Jackson Center agreed with what was said on the forum. I don't know if it is a change for the 2013 year model or if they started that some time ago. Another change for 2013 is the battery location. Rather than being in two little compartments on the front of the trailer, they are now in a box on the a-frame that was storage in previous years.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Apparently you guys are correct. Airstream has switched the city water and black tank flush. The dealership and Jackson Center agreed with what was said on the forum. I don't know if it is a change for the 2013 year model or if they started that some time ago. Another change for 2013 is the battery location. Rather than being in two little compartments on the front of the trailer, they are now in a box on the a-frame that was storage in previous years.
So....I'm confused. Were you hooked up to the black fitting that filled your black tank.....or were you hooked up to the WHITE fitting that filled your black tank? How does the gray tank fit this conversation? How about some pictures?

What actually happened. Can you walk us through your hookup and resulting events? This could really help the next guy, if AS changed things up in their plumbing.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I got it now. Thankfully the trailer is new and that was the first time out so nothing had been used. Thanks to all of you who responded. I plan to keep this trailer forever till,I die and then leave it to the kids. Our daughter called it an heirloom trailer...

I was all the way around backwards. If I understand correctly now the toward the rear of the trailer is the black tank. So it all makes since. If I hook up to the white fitting to the left of the compartment everything will work like it should. Someone posted pics on here that cleared it all up. Everything said on the forum agrees with what I was told when I called Jackson Center. By the way, has anyone else had an issue with interior fluorescent light fixture covers cracking? The one in the living room of my trailer is cracked. The one in the bathroom was cracked before I took delivery of the trailer.

It was the black tank filling. I was confused and had it all backwards.

The guy at the dealer was telling me backwards maybe because his trailer has a rear bath?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
It was the black tank filling. I was confused and had it all backwards.

OK, great! Don't be afraid to get all the help you need here. We all had (still have) issues from time to time.

Did it fill your black tank AND your gray tank and overflow in the shower, or did you have high water in the toilet?

If you hadn't used the facilities yet, in your brand new trailer, (congrats and welcome to the Forum, BTW) I wouldn't be too concerned with any cross contamination.

Also, one "water event" isn't going to rot or rust anything. Just take your time and get everything dried out.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
On ours, the flusher and the city water connections are marked, but could be hard to read in low light.

If you fill the black tank too much on ours to backflush it with a Flush King, the water will come up the vent and over the top of the trailer in a pretty waterfall that you don't want to be under. The toilet flapper seal will keep it from coming up out of the toilet.

If the vents for the grey and black tanks are connected, that wouldn't happen, but I think some grey tanks have a different venting system that is not connected to a roof vent or to the black tank vent.

Fortunately there is a black tank vent because if you overfill the tank, it can expand so much as to cause lots of problems.

If the white hose was used to fill the black tank, did water from the tank back into the hose? I doubt it did, but you could sanitize the hose with a weak Clorox solution, let is stand for an hour or two, and then flush the hose with fresh water for a while. There could be something nasty in the black tank—who knows what people did in the toilet when it was sitting on the dealer lot?

Gene
Old 10-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Now, for a video review of what bad things can happen...... everyone sit back and watch the movie RV with Robin Williams. It has this whole dumping process explained in detail.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Ahh - the poo geyser.

I especially like everyone in the RV park setting up their lawn chairs to watch.