Old 05-16-2005, 11:19 AM   #29
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
What I found useful was simple masking tape. I labeled each of the connectors so that when I replaced them, they all matched up. Of course you could use whatever work, actual labels, color stickers, whatever, just so you get it back the way it was.

As with any new product, there are always a few bugs to work out....I had all but given up on our tank system until I actually saw it work as it should the very first time after being at Jackson Center....maybe they re-flashed the new display unit with a Palm, I don't know, just a happy camper now that I can stop guessing how much fresh and grey water is in the tanks. Black, though important, I can see manually, not the best exp in life to do, but now an non issue since the black tank sensor works perfectly now too.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:56 AM   #30

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
maybe they re-flashed the new display unit with a Palm, I don't know, just a happy camper now that I can stop guessing how much fresh and grey water is in the tanks. Black, though important, I can see manually, not the best exp in life to do, but now an non issue since the black tank sensor works perfectly now too.
This last week was only the second time we have gone without a city water hookup and our first 4 day trip. By the morning of day 3, my 61 gallon tank was now showing 1/8 full. In my estimation I thought we had done pretty well in conserving water, but based on the monitor we probably weren't going to make it through our entire 4 day trip without getting some more.

After measuring out the distance from the nearest water supply I decided that even buying a 100' hose at Walmart wouldn't bridge the distance. Instead I bought 3, 7 gallon plastic water containers from the camping department at the nearby WalMart Super Center. I also figured that this would be a good test to see how much water it took to fill the tank.

I took the van down to the closest roadside water outlet and filled the three containers. The Classic hungerly consumed the contents. Ok, I filled the three containers again. The first two went in easily. The third went in about half way before we started spitting out. So doing my math it took 38 gallons or so to fill a 61 gallon tank sitting at 1/8 full on the monitoring system. By my calculator it should have taken 53+ gallons to fill the tank. It looks like my freshwater was off by quite a bit.

It will be interesting to see if the Palm configured monitor does a better job.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 12:08 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
...It will be interesting to see if the Palm configured monitor does a better job.
My monitor is "palm held" as opposed to "Palm configured".

I stick a palm-held, wooden dowel marked with various water level readings into the filler neck to gauge the water's level. I can do this since my freshwater tank is mounted above deck.

Haven't had to recalibrate yet!

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 12:12 PM   #32

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Haven't had to recalibrate yet!

Tom
Tom, sometimes the old ways are the best ways! Now I'm sure you use a different dowel rod on the old blackwater side....right?

Jack
AIR #56
Old 06-01-2005, 12:08 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
Water Monitor Calibration

Silvertwinkie,

Did you ever get your web page back up and running?

I tried to download the pdf files on calibrating the MicroPulse water monitor but got an error message.

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Margaret Lee Runbeck

BOBHASTINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:10 PM   #34
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Not yet...PM me an email address and I'll gladly fire the 2 PDFs I have off to you....they are fairly small.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 06-02-2005, 10:19 AM   #35

links do not work. thanks for the effort Jerry Brown
Old 06-06-2005, 10:03 PM   #36
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ok...for all interested in the files, you **should** be able to get them by clicking the link. Sorry for the delay....to much to do, not enough hours!
Old 08-03-2005, 06:54 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Kenney , Texas
Micropulse Status Display Problems

I don't know whether what we're experiencing is the same problem as others have been discussing, or perhaps something different - maybe you all can help:

For the first year we had our 2004 28' Classic, the battery status would show 7/8 and perhaps less, if we had discharged the battery. The black water and gray water tank levels were approximately accurate.

Now, the battery status always shows 5/8, UNLESS we are connected to the tow vehicle or shore power, in which case it always shows 7/8. (The top LED works OK, BTW) I have checked the alternator output (it's ok), the batteries sp. gravity (ok for all 12 cells), OVC (about 12.8V on each battery) and output under load (the tech just read a dial that said "Battery Good"). Also, the black tank indicator now always shows empty. However, the two LPG tank levels are always spot on, as is the fresh water tank level indicator.

I should also add that the converter was replaced under warranty, and it's my impression (but cannot swear to this) that these problems started when converter was swapped out.

The Micropulse worked fine for the first year. Our unit is still under warranty, and I plan to take the AS in for a skylight leak. At that time, should I insist on a replaced Micropulse unit? Get repairs effected on the current unit? Have it calibrated? Or what? Should I somehow get AS involved?

It's a 90 mile haul to the service location (and 90 back), so it's really not convenient to go running back and forth - whatever I do, I want to a) minimize mileage getting things fixed and b) get things fixed.

Any advice you all can provide will be helpful - thanks!
Old 08-03-2005, 10:33 PM   #38

Fenton , Missouri
Dave,
My battery would only show 7/8 unless we were pluged into shore power. If you noted my previous posts I dropped a line to Catcon Products who is the maker of the unit. Its under a 5 year warranty so you can contact them directly if you want to replace the unit yourself. Note my instructions above in regards to purchasing some butt connectors.

After I replaced the unit I noticed that the battery charge level now will go to the Full mark. All other indicators are correct although the fresh water indicator will fall fairly quickly and probably underestimates the water supply slightly. You can be empty but still have at least 3-4 gallons of water left. Black and grey measurements seem to be dead on. LP is right on also.

You can have the dealer recalibrate but I don't know if the battery level is part of that calibration. If not, and he agrees that the battery is good, then replacement is the step to go to. Question is whether you want him to do it or not. My dealer is a 70 mile round trip and I didn't feel it was worth it to have him do the swap out, hence why I dealt directly with Catcon. Send an email to Steve Barth sales@catconproducts.com and ask him what he thinks.

I too had a skylight leak. Very slight just two to three drops on the floor coming from inside the skylight frame in our center bath area after an all night rain. My dealer resealed the skylight. So far no signs of any more problems.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56
Old 08-04-2005, 06:52 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Kenney , Texas
Thanks, Jack.

Since I'm going to be taking the AS in for skylight reseal (I, too, had just a few drops from one corner after a downpour), I'll get them to do the swapout. I'm a ham, and farily handy with wires, connectors, etc., but since it's under both AS and Catcon warranty, and it will be at the authorized repair facility, I think I'll let the delaer service folks duke that one out with AS and Catcon.

It just seems very fishy to me that it shows 7/8 on shore power (and why not Full?), but only 5/8 on battery alone. I wonder if the converter they installed is putting out something anomalous, which has zonked the MicroPulse and hence made it unable to properly measure the 12.7V it's getting from the battery alone? Does that make sense?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:23 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

...it would be cool if AS would post the palm pilot software on their web site...
Old 09-03-2005, 06:34 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Kenney , Texas
Airstream is replacing skylight

Under warranty, AS has replaced the forward skylight on our 2004. Remains to be seen whether it's going to make things worse or better. I hate the thought of them ripping stuff out of the roof, putting something new in there, and getting it all sealed up again.

Since it's never going to rain in S. Central Texas again (or so it seems, after this 5-year drought), it may be out of warranty before we discover leak is still with us. If that happens, I wonder if AS will stand behind the product at that time?
Old 09-05-2005, 03:48 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Mine also failed miserably on the black tank, measuring full after a half-dozen flushes. Dealer said there were problems in the read-out unit and replaced it, and measurements now look reasonable, or close enough.

The other thing confusing about battery is this is the only measusrement that, at least on my unit, stacks up various colored LEDs to say my capacity is fully charged.