Old 05-10-2005, 03:28 PM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by joatmon
Sounds like a design boo-boo in that LEDs do generally last a long time.

But when you are running on shore power, or towing the Airstream with the charge wire attached, battery voltage could go to 13 volts or higher. If your tank monitor is on at this time, and the designer neglected to include a voltage regulator in the circuit, the LEDs could also see this higher voltage. Higher voltage equates to more current to the LED which will shorten its life.
Interesting idea. Normally I only turn on the monitor to spot check levels, so I know its not a long term usage issue. I just dropped an email to Catcon Products, who is the manufacturer of this device. I'll relay back what they say. I did ask the question about the higher voltage.

Here is a link to their web site.

CATCON Products

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 03:54 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Jack,

The display has a lip on the top it simply pops off and then in some cases you can either remove and reinstall the snap on power connectors or you have to cut and splice it back in. The RJ-11s just snap in, but make sure you plug the right ones back into the right places or your grey will register your black, etc and will be way off.

Not a hard job by any means, but getting the unit back in can take some time as you have lots of wires (RJ-11 and others) to get back into a not so deep space between the inner wall and outer wall.

To get to the LEDs you'd have to remove the circuit board from the plastic face plate, unsolder the LED and re-solder a new one....far easier to swap units IMHO.

I too don't run the unit while in transit, though I have checked levels at a rest area, the batter power was not at even full power FWIW. I have a good email address for you to use Jack....check your PMs....

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:15 PM   #17

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Jack,

The display has a lip on the top it simply pops off and then in some cases you can either remove and reinstall the snap on power connectors or you have to cut and splice it back in. The RJ-11s just snap in, but make sure you plug the right ones back into the right places or your grey will register your black, etc and will be way off.

Thanks, and ignore the PM I just sent you as you have answered my question above.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 05-10-2005, 07:11 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ignored, but I still PM'd you back!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 05-10-2005, 11:11 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
FYI, I updated the webserver with the new server OS and it didn't like it, so it may be a few days before I get it back up and running as I recode the pages and rebuild the server.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:00 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
Quote:
installation....and that was way back in early 2004, so 2005s should be darn near perfect.......
Looks like the 2005's are just as bad. We were out last week-end and the fresh water tank read 1/2 full. I wanted to fill it so I put the hose in, turned the water on, then went into the Bambi to get my truck keys. By the time I got back (less than a minute), I had a gusher of water coming out the side of the trailer. The tank was already full.
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:07 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well the good news is that it can be fixed. Mine was the exact same way on all tanks until I visited Airstream and they got it working properly in no time. It's very funny, when the grey tank hits full on the display, I hear air being pushed out the drain in the shower at the exact time it hits full.

Black tank is dead on. Fresh is also perfect. I didn't think it was possible, but I'm a happy camper now.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:46 AM   #22

Fenton , Missouri
I drained out the super chlorinated mix last night and rinsed the tank. It was dark by the time I finished. What was interesting to note is that the green "full" LED is not burned out. It's just dim. I happened to leave the panel on all evening and when I entered the dark trailer I noticed that the light was lit. As I went through the status check indeed the light came on. Problem was it was weak and in the bright daylight looks to be out. So its pretty obvious that its a problem with the LED itself.

And Twink, I did see how to pull the panel off. I just popped out the upper portion and tilted it towards me. I see what you mean being stuffed full of wires. I'll ponder the problem further. My inclination is to live with it rather than replace the unit which means the sensor issue becomes a grab bag if the calabration doesn't go well.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 05-11-2005, 09:38 AM   #23

Fenton , Missouri
I just got an email back from Steve Barth from Catcon Products. He noted that there was one production run in 2004 that had a high amount of LED failures. Those LED's were isolated to a specific manufacturer who is no longer an approved vendor to Catcon. I think that Silvertwinkie and my unit probably received our original monitors out of the production run.

He is sending me a new calibrated replacement unit. Nice guy. I also asked him a question about the calibration issue in general. Maybe we will find out why some of you are having problems with that aspect of the monitor.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56
Old 05-11-2005, 10:43 AM   #24

Fenton , Missouri
Here is the latest note from Steve regarding calibration.

"This system is very accurate but is only as good as the calibration. One thing that is unique to Airstream is that we are doing a bench calibration instead of an installed unit calibration. There has been a learning curve but I am very confident that the process has been refined and accurate. For the past year Airstream has been calibrating the monitors using a Palm Pilot that loads the calibration values into the monitor. This eliminates almost all chances for an operator mistake. If your unit is using the factory calibration then the unit I send you should work the same way. One of the unique things abut our system is that if you ever want to change the calibration you can. Example: You want BW to read full sooner than you can calibrate the unit to do so."

Sounds to me that if the person at the factory selects the wrong trailer profile in their Palm Pilot, your calibration goes south. I wonder if this is the mystery as to why some readings are bad from day one on new trailers. These sensors are detecting the water volume by some interesting methods. Lets say you have a Bambi and the factory loads in a Classic configuration into the panel. Guess what, you use a little water and the monitor thinks its half empty. You try to fill and as noted earlier, water shoots out the fill port!

Jack
AIR #56
Old 05-11-2005, 12:41 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Not only that, but a number of non used LEDs for propane levels too would be trying to run in that senario.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:34 PM   #26

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Not only that, but a number of non used LEDs for propane levels too would be trying to run in that senario.
Not really. I have a connection to LP2 which has been a little flakey. If you lose continuity to the tank you get no light at all.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 05-16-2005, 10:58 AM   #27

Fenton , Missouri
Well I got my new monitor in overnight mail. Here is the latest email from Steve regarding calibration. I posed the question how could new trailers have issues if the units are being programmed by a Palm Pilot. Could someone at the factory load in the programming for a different model trailer, thus messing up the calibration?

His answer:

"This system is measuring the head pressure in the tank or column height of the liquid. If the liquid level is 6 inches in a 100 gallon tank it has the same head pressure as a 6 inch straw. I think most of the problem occurred when the first calibration system was being used. It required adjusting voltages for each tank and was somewhat touchy to set up. I think that units that have been programmed using the palm system will not have these issues."

AIR #56
Old 05-16-2005, 11:04 AM   #28

Fenton , Missouri
Just an FYI if you decide to replace the monitor panel itself, you will need to purchase 5 compression type connectors to splice the trailer lines into the wiring from the trailer. You have 3 RJ 11 type connectors to plug in. 3 blade connectors to connect, and then the 5 compression connectors for 10/12 gauge wire. Be careful on the compression connectors because in at least two situations the wiring supplied by Airstream is the same color, with different wire colors being supplied by the monitor. You lose track of what goes to where, and you are in big time trouble. I need to buy the connectors tonight and finish the up the replacement.

Jack

AIR #56