Old 08-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #15
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Sea Tech makes push-together fittings for PEX. You can use that in areas you can't get the big honkin' tool in to use.
And I'm with Frank. Pick a type of plumbing material, and stick with it.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
PB is one of the worst plumbing systems ever invented. I would change out all PB t PEX. I need to do my entire Avion 34' trailer.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
There is very little difference in PB and PEX. The tubing is similar and the fittings are similar as well. PEX built on the PB technology. I am going to start fixing stuff with PEX with the end goal of it all being PEX at some point. I am not going to gut my trailer just to put PEX in. My trailer will not be hooked to city water 100% of the time or even a fraction of that. It is not going to be exposed to pressure and fresh Chlorine for extended periods. Folks that use Sharkbite or similar fittings are going to get bit by the shark sooner or later as well as anyone who used plastic PEX connectors.

Perry
Old 08-24-2012, 04:46 AM   #18
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I deleted my post three times now. I will leave it at just the one sentence.

Why did you ask for advice if you already had your mind made up?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Frank I never said you were wrong in what you said. I don't like the PB being in there but it is not cost or time effective to replace all of it right now. My goal is to actually camp in my trailer as opposed to worship it like it is a silver twinky god. I believe you do good work and I think you know what you are doing. Just because I don't agree with you does not mean that what you are saying is not valid. My post was about how do I make reliable connections to PEX to fix the worst of my plumbing nightmares. I agree that PB is a problem. The concept was a good one but the material was not good. PEX is the next evolution of what was started with PB. My goals are different than yours. There was nothing wrong with your original post and there was some good info in there. You having a different opinion does not bother me why does mine bother you?

Perry
Old 08-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
The reason I suggest that all PB be changed out is that PB and PEX are not the same. PB was involved on one of the most expensive litigations over product failure, ever. It cost people billions of dollars in damage. In homes, where the water purveyor clorinates their water, PB will last about 7 years and then it will start breaking. If you can't replace all your PB, just understand that you will eventually have to.
My 1988 Avion 34' trailer has PB and when I get around to it, I will replace all of it. I won't have a choice if I want to use it.