Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Ames , Iowa
Major Newbie Questions: Stationary Trailer

I have a Overlander 1964, my dream was to have it site on my property as a guest house. Can anyone please answer me a few questions...

1. Can the bathroom be hooked up with our existing water and septic system? Is it recommended or not? Any links with more info? I'm not even sure the verbiage for searching the internet with more information.

2. Is a "outhouse" concept better?

I want to set up a set it and forget it system, but winterizing I could do. Any thoughts?
lesliehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Hooked up to water and septic, certainly possible. Lots of people put in a 4" sewer connection for cleaning out their tanks when they get home, same idea.

You can install a garden hose spigot hooked up to your homes softened water for supply.

Winter depends on where you live, but water freezes and these aren't insulated like a house, so making this "set it and forget it" in Florida is easy, but for a Maine winter it becomes a question of how many zeros you're willing to put into it.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
As far as being able to forget about it, you may for a while....The black tank does not drain as thoughoughly as a sewer pipe would and eventually will pile up, so to speak.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Unless you remove the black tank and install a household toilet, you will need to keep the black tank valve closed and dump into your sewer cleanout as necessary. The black tank should not be allowed to dry out as this creates problems.

Yes, you can remained hooked up to your water system via a garden hose as you would at a campground. In freezing weather it would be better to unhook the garden hose and use tank water during those periods.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote