Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Tukwila , Washington
Lowering Tanks

Ive spent a few weekends lowering my grey water tanks
The benefit being that I am able to put in a full shower without it being raised off the floor
Ill have pictures soon
Luckily I have a center bath so clearance isnt an issue
jerrypike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Leesburg , VA
I am interested in doing this as well. Can you tell me if you ran into any problems or if you have any tips or tricks. Post pictures when you can please!
cecreighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:53 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Tukwila , Washington
Lowering tanks

I'm no at home to access pictures at this time
The process of lowering the tanks wasn't that difficult
I used steel "studs" from a supply house. Actually they are the bottom chord for attaching studs to the floor.
Heavy gauge and approximatly 8 inches wide.
After removing the gray water tank I cut the metal stud to length then bolted to where the bottom of the tank used to sit

I used epoxy covered plywood beneath the tank and the bottom flange of the steel stud

I insulated the area where the tank used to sit.

The grey water tank then just slides in

Of course the original sheet aluminum covering the bottom or the tanks won't be able to re use.

The inlet elevation should end up so your new inlet pipe will be going thru a factory hole in the crossmember

You will have to replumb the grey and black water dump valves to exit below the frame instead of thru it
I was able to keep the valve levers in the original locations

On my airstream the drain pipe for the kitchen and bathroom sinks, along with the shower were above the floor

I had the reroute this drain below the floor as well to lower the shower

I'll try to find pictures
Thanks
jerrypike is offline   Reply With Quote