Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
Air Mobile

2005 25' International CCD
Newport News , Virginia
low point pet cocks (2005 25' Intl)

I just winterized my system for the first time and have two questions about the low point pet cocks.

1) I forgot whether they were closed in the fully screwed in position, or the fully screwed out. I know sounds odd but I didn't pay attention initially, and then when it was draining it seemed like moving the valves in either direction caused water to start flowing again.

2) If all my faucets were open and I let the water drain out as much as would come out; and raised and lowered my trailer in each direction, which brought a bit more out; should i now be fully drained so as to obviate the need for anti-freeze in the pipes? Just not sure if the plumbing has the proper slope through-out

Thanks in advance.
Tim_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsupler View Post
I just winterized my system for the first time and have two questions about the low point pet cocks.

1) I forgot whether they were closed in the fully screwed in position, or the fully screwed out. I know sounds odd but I didn't pay attention initially, and then when it was draining it seemed like moving the valves in either direction caused water to start flowing again.

2) If all my faucets were open and I let the water drain out as much as would come out; and raised and lowered my trailer in each direction, which brought a bit more out; should i now be fully drained so as to obviate the need for anti-freeze in the pipes? Just not sure if the plumbing has the proper slope through-out

Thanks in advance.
I don't know the answer to #1.

The answer to number 2 is no. There are too many places where water can be trapped. If you don't want to put antifreeze in the pipes (I don't), you must blow out the lines with compressed air to make sure there are no pockets of water left trapped. The water pump must also be cleared of all water.

The procedure for doing all of this this is in my manual. If it is not in yours, I will tell you what mine says.

Regards,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
1) If they are like mine, in or clockwise viewed from below is closed.
2) Nope....does it freeze in Newport News?
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote