Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Beaverton , Oregon
looking for a good fresh water plumbing diagram including conectors etc

i have gutted a 63 safari and getting ready to put everything in, starting from nothing for plumbing, looking for a good diagram including the connectors / cutoffs / winterizing needs / one way valves etc... i have a good idea but just want to make sure i am not forgetting any pieces, primarily all the little things like the one way valves and cutoffs and need connections for winterizing
Theburrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I'll go out on limb here and say you are thinking too complicated. If you install PEX, winterizing means only draining and then leaving all valves open. In order to do that you need to keep the long runs of pipe either flat on the floor or descending toward the drain valve. You don't need any one-way valves, unless you experience your cold water running backwards due to a compressed air bubble in the water heater (which can often force warm water into the cold pipes).

One item you should consider is a 100 psi relieve valve. This is for expansion as the water heater warms up. It will drip out a couple of ounces if you get to that pressure. This item was installed in all the 70s models I've seen, and is about the size of your thumb. If you have an accumulator on your pump you probably won't need this. BTW, I no longer install pressure regulators. If you think you need one, get one of the external types on your hose that has a built-in gauge and filter.

I always install a cutoff in the line to the toilet. The toilet is the most sensitive plumbing item for freezing. If you break the valve, you can continue using the trailer if you have that cutoff valve. I use a 1/2" ball valve. I sometimes install a cutoff on the hot side of the water heater. IF you get in a condition where you want to drain the system, but need to retain the 6 gallons in the water heater, that valve comes in handy. It also will be handy if you have a leak on you hot side and still need to keep water available on the cold side.

One other feature I recommend is a "standpipe" near the toilet, with a 1/2" ball valve cutoff, a hose bib fitting, and brass cap (the cap is just a backup for the valve, if you ever bump the handle). This will allow you to connect a short hose and rise out the black tank through the throat of the toilet. This beats having to drag a long hose in through the door.

Examples:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...ign-23313.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f420...ml#post1170069

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f420...ml#post1170075

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...ect-55710.html

Zep
Old 01-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
I don't think I would try to go back with the original plan. Since the trailer is gutted out you can start from scratch. Look at the Safari Sport 22' manual http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...cb556a45c7.pdf
All of the new trailers use PEX pipes and connectors. Souldn't be very hard to do.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Beaverton , Oregon
zep,
i am assuming 1/2 pex lines with 1/2" fittings, what is the standard size of the fittings on a household faucet ( as i will be using a ikea kitchen faucet and a vessel waterfall faucet for the bathroom) 3/8" or 1/2"?? i see the the ones you used are with the white twist area, looks like the ones to use. so cutoffs to by pass h20heater for winterizing, also before or after the h20 pump? i wont be doing a reg toilet i will be using a porta potty so the toilet plumbing is not ness. any other cutoffs? and should do drain line on hot and cold side at the lowest point? just dont want to miss anything, i am new to all of this,,, thanks again for the help

becki burr
Old 01-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
You need a check valve at the city water connection. If you put an RV regulator there it has 1 built in.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Beaverton , Oregon
This is the inlet I bought, looks like it has pressure regulator and check valve built in. Do you know what size is the standard fitting size for most facets? Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	177254
Old 01-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Most faucets are 3/8" some are 1/2". The best thing is to go from the pex to a 1/2" fitting (if you use a valve or not) then use a flexible line to the faucet.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote