Old 05-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1974 29' Ambassador
Columbus , Ohio
Little Help!

A few weeks ago when I was getting the AS (29 Ambassador Rear Bath) ready for the year I noticed that the 3/8 copper tubing that feeds the toilet had sprung a leak. So I decided that I would just put a new toilet in it while I was fixing the tubing. Well, the first part, installing the new toilet was a breeze and I was starting to feel good about myself. Then I took on the repair of the copper tubing. I thought I would just cut off the tubing at the point where the leak was and just stroll over to Lowes and get and adapter and some plastic tubing and be done with it. WRONG!!!

Now, I would like to state that I know nothing about plumbing. I took my copper tubing to Lowes and asked the nice gentleman for some help. So, here is what he told me. The copper piping is not standard 3\8ths. I is just a little larger and it would not fit any of the standard fittings there. It wouldn't even fit the plastic slip on type fittings. He said I really couldn't do anything for me. He really wasn't the nicest guy, but he seemed knowledgeable so I took his word for it. So here is my question for the real pros. What do I do now? Im attaching a pic taken with my phone of the offending cooper pipe. The area that I cut off is much further down the line from the on\off valve but fairly accessible from the compartment behind the toilet.

So, what now?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0143.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	366.9 KB
ID:	130523  

Meeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
If the leak was from freezing then a large portion of the copper pipe may have expanded. Can't imagine that AS used an odd size copper pipe but then again you never now.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1982 31' Airstream 310
Dayton , Tennessee
Well Meeker, I think I'd get a second opinion. Maybe talk with Andy at Inland to see what type of connector would span the break in your existing copper, that is if you can hook it up with the original piping.
I have a moho with Pex tubing so am not really familiar with your unit. Good Luck
woodja is offline   Reply With Quote