Old 11-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Portland , Oregon
Leaky Thetford Outlet Connection--How to fix?

I have a 1998 31' Excella in generally very good condition (I purchased it about 6 months ago).

I've noticed that the drain hose that came with it will need to be replaced sooner than later--it has some pin prick holes (I can hear air rushing in and out of it).

I've also observed very minor leaking out the outlet connection. The whole thing connects to a Y or something, b/c I drain both black and grey at the some outlet.

The outlet connection and hose bayonet appear to be original Thetford parts. I purchased a new Rhino hose but the bayonet did not fit the outlet connection on the trailer (the connection was too big and the bayonet simply didn't fit onto it--i.e., the bayonet is too small to go over the outlet connection).

The outside of the outlet is 3 and 3/4" (not counting the pegs for bayonet). The inside is 3".

Can I use a coupler directly on the inside and then a new outlet with pegs so I can adapt for a new Rhino or other hose?

I tried the Thetford hose system (Smart Drain or something like that), but it was too small for the outlet too.

If I try the coupler should I just glue it with proper adhesives (looks like the outlet pipe is ABS, but I'll check with Airstream before I do anything)...

Thank you.

gquake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You can get an adaptor to fit the existing outlet that will connect with the new hose.
Look at Thetford to Valtera adaptors

Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
Portland , Oregon
TG Twinkie--thanks for the tip! I did a quick look and found some options. Do you think I should glue the adaptor in or just attach it to the bayonet and then insert into the existing outlet with a little silicon treatment to maintain the seal? Thanks!
Old 11-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Just food for thought here. You might want to look for a clear elbow to use in your discharge. Makes for good entertainment to watch the " stuff " as it exits. Also lets you see when the discharge begins to run towards clear so you know you've gotten a good dump. I use a flush king in addition a few times per season. It has a hose fitting and allows you to quickly backfill the tanks to allow high volumes of water to empty and carry the you-know-what's with it. Neither of these are necessities but I do find them useful. I have the same fitting issue you have. I use an adapter and one of these days need to put a proper fitting on it. Any day now.
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Portland , Oregon
Just wanted to follow up on this--should I do something on an ad hoc basis, or use the appropriate glue or resin to make a more permanent adaptation?

Old 12-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I just carry the adapter with me and install it as necessary. Works with my Sewer Solution and my Rhino hose. The little horns on the adapter are relative easy to break so go easy.

Old (usually dirty) Nissan Titan
Old (enhanced with "male pattern baldness") Sovereign
Young, lovely bride
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote