Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2007, 02:17 PM   #1

1970 27' Overlander
Sargent , Texas
Smile Leaks in fresh water drain lines

I am hoping someone can help us with the following questions.

We took our 1970 Overlander on an trial trip. During the trip we stayed at 2 TX state parks, and hooked to the park water system. Well, it seems the trailer had developed a few leaks. One was under the kitchen sink on the cold water side of the winterizing valve, and the other one is located, (how to put this), where the rear hatch door is (where you run your electric and sewer out of). There is a rubber hose that is located here and clear water was running out.

On the first leak I think the cause may be caused by not having a water pressure regulator installed, and the high pressure is forcing water through the drain lines. On the second leak (I'm not sure where this line is coming from) but maybe it's the drain line for the hot water heater(?) and the air pocket is gone and high water pressure is forcing water through the water heater?

If I'm anywhere near correct in my ramblings, please reply, or let me know what ya'll think.

Thanks for any help!!!!!
Patsyj1
Patsyj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Bumping your question back up

Patsyj1, I wish I had some answers. My experience with water line leaks is limited to problems with winterizing. But since I don't have answers I'm bumping your thread back to the top. Maybe someone out there can help.

BTW, I see this is your first post. Welcome to the forums! I hope you find the help you need.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Sounds like the winterizing valve was not closed. Valves and the system should handle just about any pressure you can put to them, assuming 100 PSI or lower, UNLESS the there is a breach in the line somewhere. Often, copper lines that have cracked due to freeze damage have been repaired by cutting the bad section out and using automotive heater hose as a splice between the two pieces of copper. This will come back and haunt you when you least expect it.

The water heater has a valve for draining it behind the cover on the exterior of the coach.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Smile Water Leaks

On my trailer the leak was under the sink. All it was a loose conection on the cold water to the sink. Our trailer also has 2 drain valves by the the dump valves. I also have a pressure regulator on the trailer and on the hose. I know it is a over kill but I have been to camp ground with a lot of pressure.
My advice is hook up the hose and turn it on and start looking .
The rubber hose should not be there. In my trailer it is all plastic connections.
I hope this will help.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:44 PM   #5

1970 27' Overlander
Sargent , Texas
Thank you all for your ideas.

We are replacing the gaskets in the valve stems (forward and aft) and are adding a pressure regulator.

Also, we had to pull our water pump (which quit the 2nd day of the trip) and have ordered a new Shurflow.

I'll let ya'll know if the gaskets fix the leaks.

Patsyj1
Patsyj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:55 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
Hi all: This is an old thread but it is appropriate for my question. We were in Morro Bay and hooked up to city water. My regular water regulator was attached to the hose where it connects to the A/S. I noticed water dripping from two separate locations behind the wheels just up from where the white water release valve is located. As best as I can describe it was leaking somewhere between the city water connection but before the regular water holding tank (which was completely full by the way).

The trailer is a 2006 28 foot Safari SE LS.

Still under warranty, but wanted the board thoughts.

Thanks, Robert and Sherry
OpenHigher is offline   Reply With Quote