Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2018, 10:25 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Leaking Thetford Toilet Inlet

Howdy,

Just ready to hit road for a 2 month adventure and noticed a fresh water leak originating from behind the Thetford toilet.

Minor about 1/2 cup of water. can't see or feel an origination. I saw nothing until just now ~30 hours after hook up.

Is there an easy fix? Brand new! Toilet only used 6-8 times. Was winterized but didn't get below freezing anyway..... Covered under warranty but I'm moved out and packed to go.....this means a motel if delayed repair....

Is there a "break in" period with the valves to get them to seat properly? I read a thread that mentioned snapping the valve closed by quick release of flush pedal..... Tried that and will see in the morning I guess.

Thanks!

Warren
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:45 AM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Water leaking from the foot operated flush valve can be traced to two main reasons. 1) the valve froze and cracked, or 2) the valve has a flaw and does not seat properly under pressure.

Since you know it did not freeze, it is most likely the later and under warranty. Call the manufacturer and report your symptoms. They will want a verbal description of exactly where the water exits. Be sure to have your model and serial number on hand for the claim. In my case, they sent a replacement valve that was simple to self install. As for timeline, the replacement was sent the same day I called and it arrived three days later. The repair took all of fifteen to twenty minutes.

In the meantime, since the leak only occurred under pressure, I used water from my tank and only used the pump for the moments I was drawing water from either the sinks or the toilet so a hotel is not necessary. A hand cloth or paper towels placed around/under the drip location was sufficient to prevent any damage in the interim as we were on the road. Hopefully you have a known location to use as the mailing address (a friend, family, campground, etc.) if you are away from or don't have a permanent address.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:55 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Water leaking from the foot operated flush valve can be traced to two main reasons. 1) the valve froze and cracked, or 2) the valve has a flaw and does not seat properly under pressure.

Since you know it did not freeze, it is most likely the later and under warranty. Call the manufacturer and report your symptoms. They will want a verbal description of exactly where the water exits. Be sure to have your model and serial number on hand for the claim. In my case, they sent a replacement valve that was simple to self install. As for timeline, the replacement was sent the same day I called and it arrived three days later. The repair took all of fifteen to twenty minutes.

In the meantime, since the leak only occurred under pressure, I used water from my tank and only used the pump for the moments I was drawing water from either the sinks or the toilet so a hotel is not necessary. A hand cloth or paper towels placed around/under the drip location was sufficient to prevent any damage in the interim as we were on the road. Hopefully you have a known location to use as the mailing address (a friend, family, campground, etc.) if you are away from or don't have a permanent address.
Looks like it was the actual twist connection! I was able to apply ~1/4 turn hand tightening and no puddle this morning.

Perhaps the gasket got tweaked or is defective or not seated properly

I imagine they make gasket set or its a common size. Time to investigate!

Thanks,

Warren
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote