Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2017, 02:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
paola , Kansas
Leaking pipe under Argosy bathtub

Discovered we have a leak under the bathtub in my 1976 26' Argosy. How do I access the pipes under the tub to repair? I cannot find any info anywhere and i am afraid we will have to remove to belly pan to do so but if we can access it any other way we would appreciate any guidance! I think we are just getting to old to keep up with this old girl!
Thanks for any help you can give us!
pikkygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Is the leak from the shower faucets or the lines going to the galley sink.
If you're is like my '74 Argosy 26' the lines cross in front of the toilet then turn 90 degrees and run along the front of the tub then go forward to the galley sink. You should be able to see them if you look in the outside storage compartment.
The shower lines run behind the vanity. Hope they are not the ones leaking. Tub removal would be required.
When I replaced ALL of the copper with PEX I ran the PEX around and behind the tub. No couplings or connectors to leak. Just push the PEX along the outside wall from the closet area. I would (and did) run new PEX all the way to the space under the galley sink from the closet.
If I were in your shoes I would abandon the old lines and route the new lines as suggested.
Sure hope it is not the shower lines.
Good Luck
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
paola , Kansas
Unhappy

I can hear the leak and the water is leaking towards the back of the tub (open side) near the wall that separates the bathroom from the bed. So I am guessing that the leak is in the pipes that run to the galley sink? I will look in the storage compartment to see what I can see. But the storage compartment is actually open to the underside of the bed and I only saw the duct work for the furnace with a scuttle hole to the back of the tub. Thanks for this info. May just need to take it to a shop and have it fixed. $$$$
Old 07-01-2017, 11:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If the leak is in the pipes going to the galley sink. Don't let anyone tell you the tub will have to come out.
If you don't want to install PEX the lower wall along the side of the tub will have to come out to gain access.
Depending on how long and for what purpose you will use the coach. IMHO you should replace all of the copper with PEX. As long as the pipes going to the shower are good they can be adapted to connect to the PEX.
All that is needed is a single line (cold water) from the pump to the water heater. A hot and cold to the bath sink and tub. A cold to the toilet. A hot and cold to the galley sink.
I would get rid of the internal pressure regulator and pressure relief valve. Use an external pressure regulator.
The city water connection will also need to go to the cold water side.
It's too bad you live so far from here. I live in Nebraska.
I could give you a hand.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:55 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Gilbert , Arizona
Since the pipes run in front of the tub, you will not have to pull the tub. I second the removal of any copper pipes and replace them with pex.

1977 24ft Argosy - sold.
Picinisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
paola , Kansas
Thanks for this info, Not sure how to go about this. Is there a schematic somewhere so I have an understanding of the layout and how to do this!
Thanks!
Old 07-03-2017, 01:31 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
paola , Kansas
Thanks Twinkie! That is very sweet of you! If it were just me I would keep "Pearl" forever. Unfortunately my better half does not share my enthusiasm ! LOL
Old 07-03-2017, 07:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Send me your email address and I will send you pics of what I did in my '74 Argosy 26'.
dougbowman88@hotmail.com
Old 09-08-2022, 01:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Leak in bathroom

Send me your email address. Much easier to communicate that way instead of this forum.
My address is: dougbowman88@hotmail.com