Old 10-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

venice , Florida
Leaking fresh water pipe leaks

I just bought a new to me 1997 legend. So far so good. The frige works well so we moved on to the fresh water system. Put in the bleach to sanitize the system. Fired up the pump and found several leaks in the copper supply line under the sink. Looks like the may have split when freezing.
Here is my question. How difficult is it to replace the existing copper with pex. Since I don't know if there are leaks where can't see. Is this a DIY job or do I need to take it to a service center.
Thanks
Mark

Old 10-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Pex is easy to work with and if you can pull the new flexible pex through you can crimp the connections easily. I think they run the lines along the outside and through a channel under the floor so access is the issue. Choose the pex connector you want to use but access will be the issue so far as I can tell. You may need to disassemble some of your interior to provide access.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Leaking fresh water pipe leaks

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1412776310.145169.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	845.5 KB
ID:	223953Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1412776339.889246.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	792.3 KB
ID:	223954

I was able to install PEX in my 75 in about a day. It was made easier by planning the install so that the crimps can be made in easily accessible areas.

You will not regret moving to PEX.

PEX is easy, cheap, and wonderfully effective.

Taking things apart to get good access is the hardest part of the job, but you have this problem whether you use PEX or not.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
On a 97 the only copper you should have would be the actual supply lines to the faucet itself. Remove the faucet and make the repairs to the supply lines or just replace the faucet.

If the supply tubes froze odds are the faucet is cracked

You will need a basin wrench to get the faucet out.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
The good news is that Airstream interiors are put together mostly with screws and pop rivets so anything can be removed to gain access to the plumbing and then replaced. Since the plumbing is run mostly inside the trailer cabinetry or in the belly pan, there should not be any need to remove sections of the interior skin to gain access. Also, as previously indicated, PEX is flexible so it can often be "snaked" through some of the tight spots.

If you are handy and patient, debugging the fresh water system and repairing/replacing the leaky supply lines should be quite doable.

Good luck!
Old 10-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
On a 97 the only copper you should have would be the actual supply lines to the faucet itself. Remove the faucet and make the repairs to the supply lines or just replace the faucet.

If the supply tubes froze odds are the faucet is cracked

You will need a basin wrench to get the faucet out.
Thank you very much. I found it leaking on my first test. Went back today and found it is as you say. The copper only from the filter to a small faucet on the sink and is on the supply line to the main faucet. I think I will replace the faucet rather than try to repair it and replace the copper to the filtered water with a plastic.
Thank you for your response. I have many more questions on this as it is my first AS. I know the refrigerator works and a bottle of water is frozen solid in the freezer. On to the water heater and the furnace. Air con blows cold air.