Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
kitchen water filter fitting leak

I heard a clicking or dripping sound today. Long story short, I found a drip where indicated here at one of the fittings on the mess'o'pex that exists to hold a water filter. (I think I caught it just as it started)

During my dealer walkthrough, I took one look at that zig-zag construction and decided there was no way I would trust it with the stress of filter replacements, so I got a Brita ;-) Apparently even without touching it, it decided to leak.

I finger-tightened the clamp thing at the arrow and that seemed to stop it for now, but for future reference, where is the cold water supply cut-off for it? Is it the silver knob on the right of the photo? Or does that just cut off the water from the filter zone to the faucet?

And should I be turning off city water every time I leave the AS for an hour or more? Can I remove all of that mess and direct-connect the sink so I can sleep better?
Thanks!

lbdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:46 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down Be thankful......

....they didn't cross-thread it.

This sprung in the middle of the night, with the pump on....bathroom sink cold water.

I now shut the pump off & relieve pressure, the only time the supply is on is when it's needed, city or pump.

Bob
Old 12-28-2015, 03:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Sure why not remove it?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:27 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
....they didn't cross-thread it.
I now shut the pump off & relieve pressure, the only time the supply is on is when it's needed, city or pump.
Ugh, Bob so sorry about that. You're right, your bathroom leak is worse!

I'm getting Abe Hernandez of RV Mobile Service 2U to help me with this. Until he comes, I put a water alarm under the sink, way in the back behind the silly fiberboard retaining wall they installed with tacks.
lbdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:07 AM   #5
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
We've had leaks come and go with certain campground water pressures, temperature, etc. Check every single Pex twist-on connector you can find in your entire plumbing system. I found several only finger tight, and they can leak easily. After snugging all of them that I have found, and re-doing the "air cushion" in the water heater (check the manual or google it, especially if this is a new coach) I believe I have licked our leaks. I now check all the twist-on's every 6 months as I think they loosen with use, pressure, and towing vibrations.

Hope this helps.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
From the get-go, my 25' FC. leaked under the sink at that dizzy filter.
and the water flow at the galley sink was very slow.
I tightened it several times, had it back to CanAm three times, before they finally replaced it. They said, it was the wrong filter. (??????)
I suspect that it was cross threaded. as originally suggested by Robert Cross.
My water flow in the galley sink was very slow, and after the third visit, they replaced an intake valve, (PRV?) at the skin.
Everything is working now; but I have traded it in on a 30'FC. I haven't had it out yet;
It's in winter storage now; hope everything works when I take it out for use.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote