Old 04-11-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Denville , New Jersey
kitchen sink trap

Has anyone replaced a kitchen sink trap???

Old 04-11-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Basic plumbing just like in a house. If inexperienced check out YouTube for plumbing videos.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Yup, just plastic PVC like a house. Screw the old one off and screw the new one on.

Is that really your question?
Old 04-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tulsa , Oklahoma
rv plumbing

Airstream used different sized pipe than standard. They also had a habit of gluing their connections. I used a rubber converter when I fixed mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KINDLE_CAMERA_1428326603000.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	236069  
Old 04-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
We have a 2014 and Airstream and it uses a standard white threaded PVC for our sink trap. It looks like they may have changed how they do things from year to year.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
I just pulled mine out last night. The water in the trap was "burping" while DW was in the shower. The water level in the sink was higher than I expected so I thought the trap was stopped up.

Mine was all screw together black plastic, and looked about the same as the regular household stuff.

In the process I made an interesting discovery. The vent for the gray tank is inside the living space under the sink. So I guess I found the source of the "mildew" smell that DW kept telling me about.

Apparently my problem was the gray tank was full and air bubbles were being forced up through the sink P-trap. Drained the tank and the problem went away.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I just pulled mine out last night. The water in the trap was "burping" while DW was in the shower. The water level in the sink was higher than I expected so I thought the trap was stopped up.

Mine was all screw together black plastic, and looked about the same as the regular household stuff.

In the process I made an interesting discovery. The vent for the gray tank is inside the living space under the sink. So I guess I found the source of the "mildew" smell that DW kept telling me about.

Apparently my problem was the gray tank was full and air bubbles were being forced up through the sink P-trap. Drained the tank and the problem went away.

Al
If you mean that the grey tank vent line terminates under the sink thereby discharging the sewer gas from the grey tank inside your Airstream that is is not the right way to do it and certainly not up to code. The vent stack for both the grey and black tanks should exit the roof of your Airstream. I would get that addressed ASAP! Yuk.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
I believe the part that I am looking at is, in fact, a vent cap, but I could be wrong. The left sink runs over and connects to the tailpiece from the right sink which feeds a P-trap connected to a pipe that comes up from under the floor. At the top of that pipe is a piece that I thought was a cap, but on closer inspection has a tapered side with slots in it.

I may be mistaken, but there should not be any "sewer gas" originating from the gray tank. It should only have water from the sinks and shower and therefore no organics to decompose into H2S. (Although this adds fuel to the post several months ago asking "an indelicate question"). The setup looks factory, so I suspect they are all made this way.

Maybe I should start a poll for others to look under their sinks.

Al

2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004

Old 04-12-2015, 10:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I have one of these "vents" under my sink in the bathroom. I think you are correct in noting that this is not a vent to the black tank, but only to the gray.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I'll have to check the area under the kitchen sink next time I am at the trailer.

The contents of the grey tank can get quite funky as the water in it ferments in the heat of summer if it isn't dumped daily. I know that when I dump my grey water on the ground in a place where this is permitted I better do it daily, if I wait a couple of days, the contents will have a strong odor when it is dumped. I have never detected anything like that odor inside my trailer even though when I am not allowed to dump grey on the ground and don't have a sewer hookup, I will keep the grey water on board as long as five or six days.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
I also have a vent cap under the sink. This is to make sure the sink has good draw of air so it can drain smoothly and completely. A little extra help.

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Well, to continue the hijack of this thread (sorry), the vent under the sink poses an issue if connected to a sewer system and the drain valve on the gray tank is left open. I have seen posts and articles suggesting that it is OK to leave the gray tank drain open, but never the black tank. I think having the gray tank vent inside the living space says one should never leave the gray tank drain open when connected to sewer.

I just looked at the plumbing diagram in the manual and the part is indeed a vent, however it is identified as being "automatic". I'm guessing that means it has a check valve that only opens when the sink is draining, and is closed against intrusion of gasses into the trailer. This lines up with the above post by gloran. If, however it is some kind of a flapper valve, it could be subject to degradation and might allow the passage of gasses or odors into the trailer. It would seem to merit occasional inspection.

Al

2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004

Old 04-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Well, to continue the hijack of this thread (sorry), the vent under the sink poses an issue if connected to a sewer system and the drain valve on the gray tank is left open. I have seen posts and articles suggesting that it is OK to leave the gray tank drain open, but never the black tank. I think having the gray tank vent inside the living space says one should never leave the gray tank drain open when connected to sewer.

I just looked at the plumbing diagram in the manual and the part is indeed a vent, however it is identified as being "automatic". I'm guessing that means it has a check valve that only opens when the sink is draining, and is closed against intrusion of gasses into the trailer. This lines up with the above post by gloran. If, however it is some kind of a flapper valve, it could be subject to degradation and might allow the passage of gasses or odors into the trailer. It would seem to merit occasional inspection.

Al
This may also explain why some older trailers have a funky smell inside and others do not. A failure of the check mechanism on this type of valve could cause this. Definitely worth remembering in case your trailer starts to smell funky one day.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:53 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Denville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Yup, just plastic PVC like a house. Screw the oland the trapd one off and screw the new one on.

Is that really your question?
I though I would have to remove the glued on fitting from the 2" pipe and replace it with a new one, but that my make the 2" pipe to short and the trap may not fit. The leak is at the screw on joint from the 2" adapter. Do you have any views on this???