Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Is this water pressure regulator OK?

My DH is the official plumber of our project. I'm the parts lady. Can we just use this water pressure regulator if we ever go to a full hook up park:

Rv Motorhome Hose Inlets Water Pressure Regulator Pre-Set 45 lbs. PSI Box | eBay

or do we have to put one of these inside the trailer:

Adjustable Water Regulator W/Gauge, Lead-Free

Does it really matter?

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Most, but not all parks have water pressure which will not hurt your AS even without a pressure regulator. AS is one of the few companies which put them in their trailers as standard equipment. I know there are folks out there who will violently disagree with me, but I don't think they are necessary to begin with. If you are worried, buy a little pressure gauge and measure the pressure in a park prior to hookup. If it is above about 60 psi, simply continue to use your tank water and pump, and refill the tank as needed.

Either of the external regulators you show in your post will work, the one from vintage is probably better overall.

Remember, my opinion only, and what I would do.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
RV park water pressure can vary dramatically and one time testing may not be an accurate predictor of say, night time pressure when there is little use. The device you are looking at is cheap insurance and worth it if it only gives you peace of mind. Even if your coach has a PRV built in, is it functioning? You should also think about backflow protection from either an airgap or a double check valve.
Dan
Old 05-12-2012, 04:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
We use both. The one built in the trailer, plus an external one . The external one will help protect your hoses. On a hot, sunny day, with above average water pressure, a hose can swell & burst. Or at the least it will stretch in diameter , causing it to leak at the fittings, and then never wants to roll up again without a fight. Marshall Brass has been around a long time and makes a good one. $ well spent.
John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:43 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I'd go with the regulator for the hose. Put it on the campground spigot, and be done with it. There are some RV parts places that sell regulators like that for about $10, so I'd probably keep shopping for a different one than the Ebay linked one.
And a regulator is a good idea. The last rally we went to, I forgot our regulator, and, even though the pressure wasn't all that high, it was enough to present us with a chronic leak over the course of the entire rally. I got to know the people at the local Home Depot better than I wanted to.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I bought mine at Gemplers. It is pricey, but is adjustable with a built in gauge. I've seen pressures as high as 90 psi at campgrounds.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I've seen pressures as high as 90 psi at campgrounds.
So have I, just before the hose came apart. It was--interesting.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Like sandlapper, we use a brass regulator similar to that pictured despite the fact that there is one built into the rig... it's cheap insurance.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
A local fish and game state park with some hook ups we go to a lot must have 120 psi water pressure.. We had our SOB 5th wheel hooked up and the first warning was when our water hose outside blew..

Went to the local town and got another one that held.. The next day water was leaking from 4 places under the trailer.. It had crimp type hose connections and the pressure was so great it stretched them.. Got the leaks all stopped and spent the money to get a screw on pressure controller..

Cheap,. . insurance!

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I used the adjustable one on our 63 Safari.

Bob
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I got my hose attached regulator from Amazon. I think it was about $7. I put it in front of the water filter and attach directly to the park water supply outlet. I suppose it works as nothing has blown out, yet.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
So I can just use an exterior regulator and skip installing one inside through the plumbing? I have one like the first one on hand, but if I need one inside plumbed in, I'll have to order one kind of like the H560 on this page I think:
RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV

I'm assuming you all have them inside your trailers & you use the exterior one as an extra measure. Am I assuming right?

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
The built in regulator is part of the city water connector on which you connect the hose. It is on the inside of the fixture (at least on our '93). They are notorious to leak but easy to replace. The leaking culprit is an "o" ring inside the fixture. It can actually be separated and the "o" ring replaced. Someone can probably come up with a picture of it for you.

John

I use the extra one at the spigot for extra protection on the hoses. It could also take the place of a built in one.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:26 AM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
So I can just use an exterior regulator and skip installing one inside through the plumbing?

I'm assuming you all have them inside your trailers & you use the exterior one as an extra measure. Am I assuming right?[/QUOTE

Yes, I've been using the add-on ever since we got the Classic.

I use the extra one at the spigot for extra protection on the hoses. It could also take the place of a built in one.
Better safe than sorry.

Bob
Old 05-20-2012, 06:52 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Visalia , California
I have a 2008 27' International CCD FB and was never told that it came with a built in water regulator. My question is, due to never seeing this built in regulator, is there really one on our unit and if so where is it. I'm at a camp ground in Chapel Hill, North Carolina and was told by the park owner to take the regulator off the hose due to Air Stream having a built in regulator and my water pressure would be much better. I'm just checking prior to removing the hose regulator, the water pressure is not very high here.
thanks
Chuck
ThreeFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Visalia , California
Sorry I posted the above question, I just looked in the manual that came with the trailer and found where it states "there is a built in regulator so you do not have to worry about high water pressure". I also removed the hose regulator and yes the pressure is much better.
ThreeFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
About once a year we are at a campground where we are warned to use a pressure regulator because local water pressure is too high—one place told us it was 150 psi. We put the regulator on the spigot and no worries about the hose.

Less frequently the pressure is so low at the campground the regulator plus the one in the Airstream combined cause insufficient pressure. I only remember having to remove ours once.

A simple brass regulator costs less than a new hose. Of course it is easier to forget the regulator than a hose.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote