Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Chico , California
Is this right?

I was tracking down a leak coming from underneath my kitchen sink (2010 Flying Cloud) and I discovered that these two drain pipes are not actually connected or sealed in any way - one just sits in the opening of the other.... Please forgive my ignorance, I definitely don't have much in the way of plumbing skills or knowledge, but, is this right?? This is indeed the source of my leak....

Thank you!
Becky
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7030050.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	133847   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7030051.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	133848  

reshecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
No, it is not right. Pipes which are not connected with threaded fittings should be glued together.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by reshecca View Post
I was tracking down a leak coming from underneath my kitchen sink (2010 Flying Cloud) and I discovered that these two drain pipes are not actually connected or sealed in any way - one just sits in the opening of the other.... Please forgive my ignorance, I definitely don't have much in the way of plumbing skills or knowledge, but, is this right?? This is indeed the source of my leak....

Thank you!
Becky
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Chico , California
Is there a specific type of glue/sealant I should use to fix this?

I'm surprised this hasn't been an issue before now ~ I've traveled over 11,000 miles and spent about 60 nights in the trailer so far....

Thanks for your help
Becky
Old 07-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Looks like ABS pipe, so ABS cement. Must have jiggled enough to break the pipe loose.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by reshecca View Post
Is there a specific type of glue/sealant I should use to fix this?

I'm surprised this hasn't been an issue before now ~ I've traveled over 11,000 miles and spent about 60 nights in the trailer so far....

Thanks for your help
Becky
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
looks to me, they did not use enough glue or did not do their prep work.
here is how you can fix it :

go to any hardware store, home depot / lowes or similar. get PVC glue for plumbing. just ask someone, they will point you in the right direction.
Get a piece of sandpaper and rough up both inside of the upper fitting and the outside of the lower fitting. open your PVC glues. there is a brush attached to the lid. Apply a good amount of glue to both areas and then press the parts together. You will have some glue coming out around the seam. you do not need to wipe it off, since it helps sealing.
let it sit over night and you are good to go. Make sure you close the can good and put it in your tool kit
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
almost forgot, make sure your area is dry , before you apply the glue. if you look just below the sink, you will see the T-connector to the other sink. below that, is your P-Trap. this part has screw on fitting. you can take this loose if needed, and dump it out to get it dry.
Also, if you ever have a clogged sink, this is , where most likely your problem is.. that is why you can take this section off.

hope that helps
Old 07-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Chico , California
Thank you! This is just the help I needed off to the hardware store....

Becky
Old 07-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
when you re-glue the part, just keep the two nuts on the p-trap loose , that will make it easier to align . and double check the other fittings under the sink, to make sure they are assembled correct
Old 07-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Most of the parts on drains are have fittings that can be tightened and should not be glued. Those parts with the 2 tabs on them rotate and tighten; they have a rubber or plastic seal inside them. Since drain lines can get clogged, they are made to take apart. Towing vibrates things and loosens them, so checking these for tightness periodically is a good idea. Ones on yours that can be tightened are just below the sink and two on each end of the curved pipe (P trap).

The leak comes from the part that has come apart on the right it appears. That one is to be glued. There are different types of glue for plastic pipes. Make sure yours is for ABS or a multipurpose glue that is for ABS as well as PVC and/or CPVC. You also need plastic pipe cleaner—it is simply a solvent in a small can, also with a brush inside. There is no need to sandpaper the pipe, but it does need to be clean. Do not use purple primer on ABS—it dissolves too much pipe. Clean off both pipes with a rag, then use pipe cleaner, then glue. Push them together and hold them for 30 seconds. The glue dissolves a little of the pipe surfaces and then welds them together. Specks of dirt can cause a leak. The joint was probably not glued at all, but just pushed together or it wouldn't have come apart like it did. Drains are low pressure and don't leak very easily so after a while an unglued one will eventually come part; a joint under pressure like that would have leaked very soon. Make sure all the other joints are tight.

The object at the top of that pipe on the right is to equalize air pressure in the drain system and allows the water to drain better.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote