Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I added some foam pipe insulation around some of the pipes near the water pump that were butting on each other, or pipes touching drain pipes or pipes contacting the subfloor. I think it helped.

Kelvin
Old 10-22-2015, 09:12 AM   #22
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Another solution is to add an accumulator at any point in the system....
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:02 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yes, some folks add an RV accumulator tank (sometimes called a pressure tank in larger operations) to smooth out the flow and reduce noise.

http://www.amazon.com/SHURflo-182-20.../dp/B000N9VF6Q

Lynn
Old 10-22-2015, 11:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Peter
I have no idea what the GPM figure is on the Whisper King. Works great for us in both trailers. Cheers, Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:37 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Peter
I have no idea what the GPM figure is on the Whisper King. Works great for us in both trailers. Cheers, Jim
. . .
Thanks Jim, curious whether you have to be careful using a second faucet while someone is taking a shower? That should provide a clue about the capacity of your pump. In our smaller FC20, with the existing pump being 4 GPM, a new 2 GPM pump would in effect double the size of our fresh water tank. A great plus, with the fringe benefit of encouraging a water conservation attitude in general.

Add in a new lower-flow shower head like the one suggested by Moflash and Wayne&Sam, and the combined water economies would be useful in the boondocks.

PS -- On long ocean voyages in small boats, water conservation is paramount, so foot pumps are the preferred method of getting water from the tank. No pressurized supply lines at all. It is amazing how little water one needs, especially if the flow can be governed by small motions of a foot. Obviously this would not work so well for a warm-water shower in an RV, but it gets one thinking: "how could I use less water right now?"

PS2 -- Here is the Oxygenics Fury model RV shower head:

http://www.oxygenics.com/products/fury-handheld/#
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:32 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Otra15, I can't tell from the graphic, does the round head unscrew? I had a shower head that did, and it was easy to clean out water deposits. I now have one that doesn't, and I have to soak it in vinegar, and it still doesn't clear it as well as I would like.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Not sure. Maybe call the 800 number? I won't buy one until next Spring probably.

I assume there is a screw in the middle of the spray face, but maybe it is all press-fitted at the factory as you mention. It is probably pretty complicated inside, so maybe they want to prevent disassembly?
Old 10-24-2015, 10:18 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
In our smaller FC20, with the existing pump being 4 GPM, a new 2 GPM pump would in effect double the size of our fresh water tank. A great plus, with the fringe benefit of encouraging a water conservation attitude in general.
The pumping capacity of the pump you install has nothing to do with the amount of water you use! A 2 GPM pump will not effectively double the size of the fresh water tank.

The amount of water you use is determined by the outlet (such as a shower or sink strainer aerator). All a larger capacity pump simply allows is to use two or more such outlets at the same time.

If a 4 gpm pump is installed and operating a 1 gpm shower, all that will flow and be used is 1 gpm. If a 2 gpm pump is installed and operating the same 1 gpm shower, all that will flow and used is 1 gpm, same as the other pump.

If you fill a sink to wash dishes with one gal of water, it makes no difference if it is pumped with a 2 gpm or a 4 gpm or a 6 gpm pump. It still is only one gal of water.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Although many of your thoughts, taken separately and literally, may be true (and rather obvious . . . ), you may have missed the gist of what I was getting at:

. . . that a 2 GPM pump (vs. a 4 GPM pump), together with concerted efforts to conserve water, will result in one's fresh water tank lasting longer (even "twice" as long).

A shift of awareness, that's all.

If you don't get it, that is fine . . .
Old 10-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI my hand-held Delta shower head is rated at 2.5 GPM, and I assume the the outdoor shower is at least 1 GPM, the bath faucet 1 GPM, and the galley faucet about 2 GPM, for a combined total of 6.5 GPM. Reducing the pump size from 4 GPM to 2 GPM will thus force multiple concurrent users to make-do with a lower water flow, or make other accommodations, resulting in water conservation IMO.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:19 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Is there such thing as a silent water pump?

To quiet the water pump remove it at place an old mouse pad under it and remount it loosely. There is a screw on the front of the pumps for pressure regulation. It's on the pressure switch. If it cycles to often adjust it one way or the other to change the cycle.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:26 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Although many of your thoughts, taken separately and literally, may be true (and rather obvious . . . ), you may have missed the gist of what I was getting at:

. . . that a 2 GPM pump (vs. a 4 GPM pump), together with concerted efforts to conserve water, will result in one's fresh water tank lasting longer (even "twice" as long).

A shift of awareness, that's all.

If you don't get it, that is fine . . .

What I really think you are suggesting is that people will use whatever they can get, so rather than conserving water, if they are able to get 4 gpm through the shower head, they will use it, if not, they will use what they can get.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:23 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Intentional Restriction

In contrast yet maintaining optimum availailabe pressure thus quieter operation, installed new Shurflo Revolution 3GPM pump with "quiet hose kit" with a larger inner diameter, extra restricted flow washers to lav sink and Oxygenics 26481 shower head.

Resulting in less water waste in use, feel of a quality shower while making most of available GPM with less cycling demands.

Water saved is you own especially when boondocking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4576.PNG
Views:	99
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	278410  
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #34
1Boyscout

2015 28' International
Edmond , Oklahoma
Day dreamer,

which Serenity do you own, I own the 28', 2015.

where is your pump located?

mad hatter
Retired US
1Boyscout is offline   Reply With Quote