Old 09-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post

Since you didn't mention much, I am going to assume for the moment that you have a rear bathroom, and twin beds in the compartment ahead of it. Let us know if this is right or wrong, OK?
Yes, rear bath (if you want to call it that). It has been a storage area for the last 15 years or so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage
First question for you: when you were filling the fresh water tank, was this because you were not parked at a spot where you had "city" water? I ask since the "white water" tank is only needed to in the picture if you are "boondocking" (camping away from anything that hooks up to your trailer). If you can connect a garden hose, that's your water supply, the only tanks you will use then are the two waste tanks. So don't worry about the white tank right away. In fact, I would now empty it.
I'm glad you asked. We were talking about that when we were putting in the replacement water heater. I was inside hooking up the water lines and a friend was outside pushing and turning the heater as needed. I asked if he saw the city water hook-up and he couldn't find it I think he only looked on the road side, perhaps it is on the curbside?? I'll dig through the manual. Dad has already told me that the tank has a leak. I've researched repair options and will probably give it a shot, but looks like replacing it is on the horizon. This trailer has not moved in over 20 years. There is electricity and water about 7 feet from it. If I could locate the city water hook-up, I might not even have fool with the holding tank...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage
You will find that almost all of your copper pipes are on the curbside of your trailer. If you have the layout I described above, there's a lot of it under the rear sink area and the bath tub, then it goes through the closet, under the curbside bed and up to the galley. It's not really hard to get at. Well, "hard" in the sense that it's impossible; it isn't impossible.
I was hoping that the line made a 90 degree turn from the galley to the bedroom and ran above the bed add ons. Sounds like it does run behind the bed...hopefully I can push the PEX from the rear closet past the bed. Heck, mimi did it!

Old 09-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
houston , Texas
According to the manual the city water hook up is just forward of the rear bumper, roadside. Looks like there is a compartment with a hose in it...we'll see!

Thank you again for the manual Alumaholic.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by tealgraham View Post
Yes, rear bath (if you want to call it that). It has been a storage area for the last 15 years or so
It's one of the largest bathrooms that exists in Airstream World, and with two in diapers, you will appreciate the tub!

Quote:
I'm glad you asked. We were talking about that when we were putting in the replacement water heater. I was inside hooking up the water lines and a friend was outside pushing and turning the heater as needed. I asked if he saw the city water hook-up and he couldn't find it I think he only looked on the road side, perhaps it is on the curbside?? I'll dig through the manual. Dad has already told me that the tank has a leak. I've researched repair options and will probably give it a shot, but looks like replacing it is on the horizon. This trailer has not moved in over 20 years. There is electricity and water about 7 feet from it. If I could locate the city water hook-up, I might not even have fool with the holding tank...
We only camp at campgrounds, so I don't even know if our white tank leaks or not. I know the pump works, but it makes so much racket, I'm sure it would have to be off when bedtime came around!

Quote:
I was hoping that the line made a 90 degree turn from the galley to the bedroom and ran above the bed add ons. Sounds like it does run behind the bed...hopefully I can push the PEX from the rear closet past the bed. Heck, mimi did it!
On my TT (travel trailer) I just take off the curbside mattress and flip the top of the bed frame open, and voila, there are the pipes. In the closet behind that bed they hide under an easily-removable panel. I would say the toughest area to get your hands on the pipes is under the galley, and in the bathroom.

In the bathroom, you will at minimum need to remove the wall surrounding the tub. The sink connections are available from the rear access hatch, which on my '74 is a good size.

Have fun, and LOTS of photos, OK?
Old 09-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
houston , Texas
I've been ordering parts. Going with the cinch clamp b/c of price and I can do a larger range of sizes with the same tool for less $. Bought most things online at pexuniverse.com. Ordered parts this morning and got a shipping confirmation today with a tracking number, so far so good.
With gift cards to lowes to burn, I'm getting the PEX pipe and some gator bite fittings to connect to the copper pipe that I will not replace. From what I can tell, standard gator bite couplings will accept 1/2" copper in one end and 1/2" PEX in the other. I think you need to remove the plastic insert in the fitting on the copper pipe side.
I'm curious if anyone knows how my sink (the original factory sink) is connected? The diagram just shows 1/2" copper. I should have thought it through and taken pics last time I was out. If anyone knows how the copper pipe transitions to the to sink I'd be greatful. Don't know if there is some sort of hose that will accept NPT or if it is sweat connected via 1/2 coupling to 1/2" copper pipe coming from the sink??

Anyway, buying extras from Lowes to cover all these unknowns and returning what I don't use. I'm planning to use a 1/2" gator bite coupling and cut the copper pipe near the sink. I'll just connect the copper to the pex. If anyone can share their knowledge on this I'd prefer to do it right the first time.

Lots of picks when I'm out there Aage, not this weekend, but next. Hopefully some of a kitchen sink with water dancing from the spout!!

Thanks guys.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
On mine, all the faucets have 1/2" male pipe threads, so I used the stainless steel braided connectors with 1/2" female each end, then connected one end to the faucet, the other I crimped on pex a male 1/2" brass fitting, and viola connection made, no leaks. This picture is under the bathroom sink, shows the sink, tub, and toilet (with valve) connections. This was after I gutted all the copper lines, including sinks and water heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020571.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	168657  
Old 09-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
On mine, all the faucets have 1/2" male pipe threads, so I used the stainless steel braided connectors with 1/2" female each end, then connected one end to the faucet, the other I crimped on pex a male 1/2" brass fitting, and viola connection made, no leaks. This picture is under the bathroom sink, shows the sink, tub, and toilet (with valve) connections. This was after I gutted all the copper lines, including sinks and water heater.
Roger That!! Appreciate it. Fingers crossed I have the same setup. Save me 15 bucks in gatorbite. I bought some male cinch 1/2"NPT straights for the water heater and then decided to go with elbows instead and forgot to take the straight connects out of my cart. They might find a home after all...I'm part Irish.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
I was going to do it with gaterbytes also, but when I tried to make a cut on the copper under the sink, there was not enough room for my pipe cutter, and you must make cuts at right angle to pipe, or the gaters leak. It was easier in the long run to take out all old stuff, and start over. I pressure checked mine with air, 60# then water 45#, then water 60#, then fired up the water heater, pressure went to 80#. I think I may put back the overpressure valve I left out when doing mine. But first I am going to test the overpressure valve to see if it works. Good luck on your re-plumbing project. Over and out,
Old 09-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Here's What I Use for Tubing in Tight Places

Tubing cutter:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tubing cutter.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	168658  
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Tacoma , Washington
Plumbing

Kinda like the old way. Used all copper in my 63 Overlander. Wasnt really that hard, although with the price of copper it might get spendy. Be sure and recycle/sell all your old copper, will help pay for the new stuff. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #24

1989 29' Excella
Punta Gorda , Florida
pressure
line water leak, looks like it may be from shower line. 89 Excella Anyone had this problem?
Old 10-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
houston , Texas
Okay, things went pretty well. Running the pex was not too difficult. The cinch ring style fitting were pretty easy to use and no leaks after the first pass. I used the existing faucet connections under the kitchen sink and one is leaking. Picked a couple up yesterday and will change out. The kitchen faucet leaked internally. I took it apart to see if I could just replace a gasket, but I couldn't. I opted to purchase a new faucet. Easier said than done because on the single hole cutout in the sink. Home Depot had several inexpensive 2 and 3 hole cutout faucets, but the single hole offering is pricey. I settled on the glacier bay one in the pic on sale for $70 bucks. I could have saved money by cutting holes in the counter behind the sink and installing a 2 or 3 hole style, but figured this would look better and worth the expense in time / labor savings.

Name:	image-2355289061.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	169976

Name:	image-340632846.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	169977
Old 10-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
houston , Texas

Name:	image-3062782363.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	169991

Victory!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
houston , Texas
Now onto the bathroom...I wanted to leave the 1/2" copper running to the bathroom sink and tied into 3/8 copper to the shower. The 1/2" pex connector was way too big for the copper tubing. I called sharkbite and they said it would not work on soft copper (sweat connected type)? Surprised to hear that since I researched pretty hard with no mention of this. I'm tented to try a 3/8 sharkbite on the 1/2 inch copper just to see. I tried to weld the sweat fitting in the pick and couldn't get it to take, just kept beading up and falling off. Suggestions???
For grins, I turned on the water with it connected (obviously leaking at connection) to see if shower and sink work. The shower did, but sink faucet is shot. Can't even turn the knob. I'm going to get the measurements and hopefully find a replacement at Home Depot this weekend. I obviously need some parts for the shower too. I know she looks rough, but consider she hasn't had running water in 15 plus years. I'm making progress one step at a time. Below are various pics. Again, thanks for your help. I hope this helps someone in the future in my situation. Please feel free to contact me with any questions and I'll do my best to share what I've learned / learning.

Name:	image-140860384.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	544.3 KB
ID:	169992

Name:	image-2227680068.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	169993

Name:	image-3948163324.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	443.8 KB
ID:	169995

Name:	image-2847243306.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	169994

Name:	image-701627650.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	614.9 KB
ID:	169996

Name:	image-4182933690.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	524.0 KB
ID:	169997

Name:	image-806900936.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	387.9 KB
ID:	169998

Name:	image-3801949882.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	478.5 KB
ID:	169999

Name:	image-3086444990.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	170000

Name:	image-1091998502.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	170001

Name:	image-1284129765.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	523.3 KB
ID:	170003

Name:	image-1031030038.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	170002

Name:	image-2157843020.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	450.2 KB
ID:	170004

Name:	image-2011065696.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	424.0 KB
ID:	170005

Name:	image-3424557123.jpg
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	170007

Name:	image-1258154301.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	170006

Name:	image-210147504.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	400.1 KB
ID:	170008

Name:	image-3932874230.jpg
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	170009
Old 10-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
houston , Texas
The shower valve gave me problems. I tried to pull it out and couldn't. I tried hard for a longtime. I don't think this value is supposed to be pulled out. The copper clip was there so seems like it should, but I ended up breaking it and never getting it out. So, I had to replace the shower faucet too. Triple crown at the end, new kitchen faucet, new shower faucet and new sink faucet. The shower faucet was $60 from Lowes, sink faucet was $14 from lowes.
I was able to access the back of the shower connection by taking out the bottom panel in the medicine cabinet. My initial plan was to leave this copper in place due to access, but once I was able to get to I put in pex. I now have all copper and no pex in the trailer. I took two hot showers in it this past weekend and it was awesome! I bought a new shower nozzle, but the original that came with the trailer worked much better so I'm using it. Speaks for the quality of Airstream OEM parts considering it is 34 years old and performs better than a new one.

Tags
sovereign