Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
ideas on slow city water fill - Newbie asking

Filling my Airstream from my outside house fawcet today - for the first time - before taking my 2010 25FB out next week for the 1st time. I have had the water on for over 2 hours - and the indicator in the kitchen only shows 1/4 to 3/8s full. No kink on Hose. Not flowing out anywhere.
of course the indicator could be broken i suppose (but how likely is that).
Any ideas (also - hose is brand new RV qualified hose). No pressure regulator connected.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Do you have the hose screwed into the shore water port? To fill the tank you must push the hose into the external water fill hole. Unless they have changed things there is no way to attach the hose to this hole. Usually this fill is behind a locked door. Someone please chime in if I am wrong. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Do you have the hose screwed into the shore water port? To fill the tank you must push the hose into the external water fill hole. Unless they have changed things there is no way to attach the hose to this hole. Usually this fill is behind a locked door. Someone please chime in if I am wrong. Jim
I agree with Jim, I suspect you have the hose connected to the "city water" fixture and not to the fresh water tank fill. The fresh water tank fill is behind a small locked plastic door. There is no thread on the fresh water fill, you must basically stand there and hold the hose while you fill the fresh water tank or shove it in sufficiently so that it stays put.

The "city water" and "fresh water tank" fill inlets are not connected in any way. They are kept separate to provide you with the flexibility to connect to a city water supply without introducing any unwanted water into your fresh water tank.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:26 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I agree that's all it could be. You must have the hose hooked to the city water inlet. In the photo below, the fresh water tank is filled from the inlet behind the door.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0018.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	235705  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
and maybe the drain valve underneath the AS has been left open...although that stream should be a lot less than your typical city water stream. The guys above are probably correct...
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Hmm, confused. what does the city water line provide then -- just water direct to the toilet, shower and sink and hot water heater; and that the water tank is completely separate.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:05 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
The city water inlet provides unlimited water to the whole trailer, but it does not fill the freash water tank. The fresh water tank provides water to the whole trailer also, but only when the water pump is turned on.

The inlet behind the little is the only way to add water to the fresh water tank, and it is separate.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 04-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
OK Thanks a Ton! Wondering -- if going camping where there is city water -- do most people leave their water tank empty (and only fill - when going somewhere where there is no city water?) P.S. We take our first trip tomorrow (very excited).
Old 04-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders79 View Post
Hmm, confused. what does the city water line provide then -- just water direct to the toilet, shower and sink and hot water heater; and that the water tank is completely separate.
Think of it this way.

If you are at a campsite with water; Screw the hose into the city water inlet and it will provide water pressure and water to the whole trailer. However your water storage tank will remain empty.

If you fill your water storage tank with water before going on a trip then you can provide water to the entire RV by turning on the pump to provide water pressure. You do not have to be connected to an outside source.

Don't use the City Water connection for filling as it won't fill. Use the water inlet with no threaded connection to fill your water storage tank.

Also don't use your pump when connected to City Water, use your pump when you want to access the water in your water storage tank.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders79 View Post
OK Thanks a Ton! Wondering -- if going camping where there is city water -- do most people leave their water tank empty (and only fill - when going somewhere where there is no city water?) P.S. We take our first trip tomorrow (very excited).
Most people travel with a very small amount of water (or even no water) in their fresh water tank if they are going to campgrounds with "city water." Otherwise you end up dragging around a lot of unnecessary weight. If you are going to a campground where there will not be any fresh water at your camp site and none in the campground at some remote potable water source, then you would fill your tank at home.

Given that this is your first experience camping, I would suspect that you selected a campground with full hook ups (water, sewer & electricity) so you can learn how to camp without being concerned about these items.

Enjoy!
Old 04-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
We have yet to camp without a water hookup, but I usually keep a few gallons of water in the tank for pit stops. It's very nice being able to stop anytime to use the restroom (especially since a certain member of our family usually has to stop before we even get out of town).

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
On the other hand, I always travel with a full water tank. Nice to be able to flush the toilet enroute to the next stop and, in my case, that 320# of low slung weight lowers the center of gravity of my rig which, and this is entirely anecdotal, I believe enhances stability.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Traveling with water in the tank allows you to wash hands, flush, even take a shower when enroute. Jim
Old 04-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We usually travel with water in our fresh water tank because we are not always sure where we will land. Our fresh water tank is pretty small, so the addtional weight is not much, and it also lowers the center of gravity on our rig.

On your shakedown cruise, if you have full hookups, take the opportunity to experiment with ALL your systems, including using the fresh water tank and operating off batteries. Try your AC and furnace as well.

And if you run into trouble or have questions, fellow campers or camp hosts are usually helpful...

And HAVE FUN!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:18 PM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
We always travel with at least a 1/3 tank of fresh water. We like having options.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 04-06-2015, 07:39 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Stillwater , Minnesota
The last time we pushed off with an empty fresh water tank we were headed from Phoenix to Wickenburg, AZ, intending to find a campground with water available. We ran smack into Gold Rush Days, no available camping, so ended up boon docking and needing water. Stopped at the Fire Station to inquire about availability (they deal in water after all, or so went my thinking). Was referred to a Stand Pipe near the airport. Guaranteed to have a hose bib. Nope! Not a chance.

But hey, that 2" hanging hose looked like it would fit nicely into a cut-off 500 ml water bottle, which it did, and that nice lever must release the water gently after inserting my dollar for the advertised 200 gallons of water. Nope!

Boom!! 200 gallons of water exploded out of that stand pipe, blowing my cute little 500 ml water bottle off the end and down the street. Drenched me completely in 2 seconds.

Wet as can be at that point, I reloaded another dollar, held my fill hose below the flood gate while my wife directed the flow into the fresh water fill. 39 gallons in the tank, 161 gallons on me.

Lesson Learned: traveling with a full fresh water tank is a good thing.
Didn't need a shower that night either.

Rod
StillRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:57 PM   #17
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Just throwing in, I almost made a bad mistake, my Airstream would have been totaled. Short story is, the hose was wrongly hooked up to my black tank flush and left running with black tank valve closed, thinking it was city water inlet. Good news I caught mistake 2" from it overflowing into trailer. Lessoned learned, always do your own hookups even when someone offers to help.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Actually, my sister-in-law did the same thing. All it did was fill the blank tank and then fill up the vent stack and make a $70000 fountain!

Assuming the ball seal on your toilet is intact, there shouldn't be any interior flooding. Granted, I wouldn't try to replicate the experiment...

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
We always travel with a full 40 gal of fresh water and two empty waste tanks. The extra water weight isn't a serious concern to me. I have landed in places with no water, untrustworthy water or a faucet too far from the trailer for the amount of hose I had. It's the Boy Scout "be prepared" mode of travel.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:12 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Water is so important. What if you are stranded on the interstate because of an accident. Happened to us once, we were able to use the bathroom and had all the water we needed to drink. Temp in the ninetys. AS are self contained survival systems, why not take advantage. Same thing if your TV breaks down in the middle of no where. It may take hours for help to arrive, you are going to be a lot better off than someone sitting there in a car with no water, tec. Peace,jim