Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
Boulder , Colorado
How to get air out of water line

Hi Folks,

Any advice for getting air out of my water line? I have a 2008 16' Bambi that I de-winterized last night. I am getting mostly air coming out of the kitchen faucet but normal water flow in the bathroom.

I flushed and filled the fresh water tank, and with the water heater still in by-pass mode I turned on the pump and was able to get a strong stream of water at the kitchen sink and bathroom (toilet and shower). The same was true when hooked up to city water.

Then I set the valves so I wasn't by-passing the water heater, and the water heater filled. Now, however, I just get air or some sputters at the kitchen sink. The bathroom was unaffected and still works fine. Same is true if I use city water.

I also tried by-passing the water heater again, but I am getting the same results now: Air at the kitchen sink and normal/strong flow in the bathroom.

I am thinking there may be air trapped in the water line, but I'm not sure. I am noticing no leaks....

Heading out tonight for a weekend trip - any thoughts on how to fix?

Thanks!

Tim
Boulder, CO
bocotim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Is your low point drain(s) closed? Is the pressure relief valve on your water heater closed?

If the water is running and i isn't coming out of the faucets, it is going somewhere. Look at the underside of your Bambi for leaks while the faucets are sputtering.
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
If the water heater was dry it can take quite a while for get all the air purged from the tank and lines. Do you have a steady water stream when only the cold water is turned on at the sink?
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Susan View Post
Is your low point drain(s) closed? Is the pressure relief valve on your water heater closed?

If the water is running and i isn't coming out of the faucets, it is going somewhere. Look at the underside of your Bambi for leaks while the faucets are sputtering.
Low point is closed and pressure relief valve is closed.

I just tested it again this morning, and now I am getting flow at the kitchen sink. So it seems to have fixed itself overnight....

For what it is worth, I think the mistake I made when filling the hot water tank initially was that I did not keep a faucet open at the sink to expel air while the hot water tank was filling.

Tim
Airstream Camping
Old 05-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
If the water heater was dry it can take quite a while for get all the air purged from the tank and lines. Do you have a steady water stream when only the cold water is turned on at the sink?
The problem is/was the same for both cold and hot water.

It seems to be working now though.....

Thanks.

Tim
Airstream Camping
Old 05-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Have a great weekend!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocotim View Post
For what it is worth, I think the mistake I made when filling the hot water tank initially was that I did not keep a faucet open at the sink to expel air while the hot water tank was filling.

Tim
Airstream Camping
You have solved your own problem.

Yes while filling the hot water heater you want a hot water faucet open. Revealing the pressure as the tank fills insures that you do not have trapped air in the top of the tank when you first fire it up. Firing the heater with trapped air will greatly raise the pressure and may cause a problem when you first draw water. The pressure may go high enough that the relief valves blows off while heating the tank.

A second consideration while filling the hot water tank is to remove the screen from the end of the faucet you are using to bleed off the pressure. While the tank fills it will kick up the silt on the bottom of the tank and if that silt is not flushed out via the open faucet while filling it will deposit on the first screen you use after filling. This will result in greatly reduced flow from that faucet. Fill, flush the tank and replace the screen. Let the tank settle for a bit before drawing water from any of the faucets. The heating cycle should be long enough to insure things have settled out in the tank.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote