Old 09-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
How many low point drain valves on '08 23FB?

I am going to try winterizing our unit myself this year and want to make sure I don't miss any low point drain valves.

Can anyone tell me how many there are on an '08 23FB SE and even better - where they are located.

A picture is worth a thousand words if anyone has them.

I will check behind my freshwater tank white drain valve for 2 of them and one near the heater but would love to get confirmation from someone who has already identified how many there are on their unit.

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Bonginator, I have the same trailer. There are only 2 low point drains for the pipes, 1 for cold water and 1 for hot water. The fresh water tank also has a drain. They are located directly front of the fresh water drain. Sorry, can't get a pic for you. The are just brass petcocks. Sometimes a bear to get sealed though. A litte oil helps.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere Guy View Post
Bonginator, I have the same trailer. There are only 2 low point drains for the pipes, 1 for cold water and 1 for hot water. The fresh water tank also has a drain. They are located directly front of the fresh water drain. Sorry, can't get a pic for you. The are just brass petcocks. Sometimes a bear to get sealed though. A litte oil helps.
Thanks. I was at the trailer this afternoon trying to find the low point drain valves.

I found the two drain petcocks on the freshwater tank and opened/drained them.

I could not for the life of me find the other 2. My manual says they are accessible via a hole over the bed or in the exterior access door near the rear of the trailer. I could not find an exterior access door near the rear of the trailer - other than the latch for storing things in the very back. I also checked my storage area in front of the exterior water heater door and couldn't find any valves there.

I lifted up the big area under my bed but didn't see any valves there - just plastic containers. I did see a small cutaway on top of the bed secured by 3 screws. It is in the photo below. I did not open that since it was hard to open but was wondering if this is where I can find the other valves.

Pictures attached (in order):

1 - 2 low point petcock valves on freshwater tank.
2. red/white drain openings near my black and gray water drain valves. No petcocks near these. Not sure what these drains are for.
3. small cutaway hole under bed mattress secured by 3 screws.
4. My now bypassed water heater (under closet to the right of the bed)

Can you provide any further guidance on where to look for the other 2 valves that are supposedly under the bed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FW Tank low point valves.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	169262   Click image for larger version

Name:	red white drain near black water valve.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	169263  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hole under bed.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	169264   Click image for larger version

Name:	bypassed water tank.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	169265  

Old 09-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I don't have the same trailer so take what I say with the proverbial grain of salt.

I suspect the red and white hoses protruding from the belly are the hot and cold water line low drain hoses. Mine look very similar but are both white on my trailer.

Now... presume those hose go up to the water lines in pretty much a vertical fashion. Imagine where that is in your trailer (measure if necessary) and that should lead you to the hot and cold water, low point, drain valves. Mine are hidden in a compartment that is very hard to access. They will likely be below floor level as they have to be at the lowest point in the water line. The valves may be a quarter-turn type, or may be more of a multiple-turn water valve. Regardless, once you find those valve you open them and let them drain until no more water comes out. This only takes a few minutes.

Next, depending on your procedure you may leave them open and try to blow air through the lines or close them and blow air through the lines. Don't know if you're using pink stuff (I presume you are since you have the water heater bypass) but you'll close the low-point drain valves to charge the system with anti-freeze.

Lucius
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
BoginAtor,

The ONLY 2 petcocks are by the fresh water drain ARE the low point drains for pipes.

The white one is the fresh water tank drain, don't put antifreeze in the fresh water tank! you"ll be flushing it out forever.

The 2 (pic 2) near the dump valves, Just confirmed, but can't attach pics frommy wife's iPad, yes, there are 2 valves in the secret compartment below the pull out pantry. They are the low point drain valves for the bath and kitchen area. These lead to the 2 by the dump valves. Just pry gently on the panel at the bottom and it will come off for you. They do coincide with hot and cold water coloring though. BTW, I store extra toilet tissue,dry goods, etc... there. Many electrical wires and furnace ducting in there as well.

(pic 3) The "hatch" under the bed is an access panel to the inverter. Only electrics there, no plumbing.

Don't forget to drain the hot water heater as well. But no antifreeze in it!

That is all for drain points. There are none under the bed.

I hope his helps.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere Guy View Post
BoginAtor,

The ONLY 2 petcocks are by the fresh water drain ARE the low point

The 2 (pic 2) near the dump valves, Just confirmed, but can't attach pics frommy wife's iPad, yes, there are 2 valves in the secret compartment below the pull out pantry. They are the low point drain valves for the bath and kitchen area. These lead to the 2 by the dump valves. Just pry gently on the panel at the bottom and it will come off for you. They do coincide with hot and cold water coloring though. BTW, I store extra toilet tissue,dry goods, etc... there. Many electrical wires and furnace ducting in there as well.

Don't forget to drain the hot water heater as well. But no antifreeze in it!

I hope his helps.
I have drained the 2 low water valves on the FW tank and also the white plastic valve on that tank.. I also bypassed the water heater and drained the water heater. Do I need to also open the valves under the pantry since ttys manual doesn't event refer to them before I pump antifreeze through everything? I have never seen my AS dealer open up that area at all when winterizing.

Thanks..
Old 10-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Yes you should to be thourgh. One cracked pipe from freeze and you won't be happy.

Good luck!