Old 06-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Currently Looking...
Coeur d alene , Idaho
No theory on this one!

My Caravelle is sitting near Missoula, Montana and ten days ago it got down to 21 degrees for just One night. The inside of the trailer looked like a sprinkler system. I put pex plumbing in 5 years ago and now looking at putting in Shark Bites type of connections so the connections are easier to replace. 21 degrees the magic number for this Montana Boy! Don Witulski

Old 02-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
So, based on what I've read here, I don't really have to worry about the freak winter cold front that may be hitting the San Francisco area this week, yes?

I always get annoyed when people think the weather everywhere in CA is like San Diego, but even so, this isn't the sort of thing you generally have to think about in the SF Bay Area!

Old 02-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriO View Post
So, based on what I've read here, I don't really have to worry about the freak winter cold front that may be hitting the San Francisco area this week, yes?

I always get annoyed when people think the weather everywhere in CA is like San Diego, but even so, this isn't the sort of thing you generally have to think about in the SF Bay Area!
You probably will be ok. If you are really worried a space heater inside with cabinets open can't hurt... Pretty unusual formyour area - we lived in Menlo Park for years and still go between CO and Los Altos regularly but our AS is here. Good luck!

Sandy
Old 02-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Some parts freeze better than others...

Wanted to share actual frozen water experience, from San Francisco Bay Area, not known for icy sub-freezing temps.. (Cherry trees filled with pink blossoms this week..)

During a two day cold spell with night temps in high 20's and daytime highs in low 40's, trailer parked alongside house seemed OK.. When we prepared to hook up for Easter week trip, I tested water pump and heard funniest sound like little rain bird lawn sprinkler... Discovered the plastic flush valve on Thetford Toilet had frozen and cracked the body ever so slightly.. Each pressure cycle of water pump sent tiny stream of water across bath.. After a few magic words, shut everything down and found and installed replacement valve...

Point is that much of fresh water system can be fine, but a weak link can still compromisee the system at temps above 25 degrees...If pressed, I'd have wagered that weakest link was around metal outlet from hot water heater, or fresh water hose/pipe inlet, but I'd have lost.. Worth disclosing that this was SOB trailer we owned pre-Airstream, and perhaps not as well insulated, but I suspect differences are a degree or two, without furnace or anti-freeze in lines...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Work with your intuition. You heard the question inside, you asked us, but go act on what your intuition is telling you. Us old farm folk here just have thawed and fixed enough pipes so we'll probably say keep enough kilocalories in your sequestered mass of dihydrogenoxide to prevent the state change from a liquid to a solid, the solid has 10% more volume to fit in the piping.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
Discovered the plastic flush valve on Thetford Toilet had frozen and cracked the body ever so slightly.
The "toilet valve" is a common point of breakage from freezing. I think you are speaking of the same valve. It's located at the back of the toilet near the top of the pipe. I forgot to flush antifreeze through it and the sink sprayer (extremely cheap plastic part) one year and they both broke. I am told the only way to replace the toilet valve is to remove the toilet. Both got fixed under warranty at JC even though I should have been charged for it. I have not forgotten this again.

Gene
Old 02-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Yeah, that was it...

Discovered it was much easier to replace that valve when you removed the toilet from cramped bathroom and too it outside... Took a while to figure out how to do that, but it worked way better...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote