Old 04-26-2008, 07:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
Hook ups?

I am in the never ending process of restoring a 1968 30' Sovereign. I don't know how the original hook ups for city water, power, grey/black water tank outlet, and drain ports were routed.
Currently, all of the plumbing and power run into a horizontal door at the rear bumper. So, to utilize them I have to leave the door open subjecting the inside of compartment to the weather. Is this original? Does anyone have any ideas/pictures of how these hookups should be routed? I thought about routing the city water and power to one of the side storage compartments but then again, that compartment would be subjected to the weather when in use. Any suggestions

Old 04-26-2008, 07:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Check this thread for pictures of how some of it was done in '67:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...ing-20040.html

In my Overlander, the sewer hookup is the only thing located in the bumper area. Water and power come through a small opening in the "One Stop Service Door".

Tom

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
TomW,
I am impressed! I went to your web site, spent 2 hours reading more than I could remember, and I forgot what my original question was. I embrace your idealology of repairing when possible, replace as a last resort. Your research into how things were designed to work and fixing what's broken really hit home. I envy your knowledge of Vintage Airstreams. You are a reference I will use in the future. Thanks!
Now, back to the hookup questions in the original post. When you refer to the "One Stop Service Door", I assume you are speaking of the door below the bathroom window? Your '67 Overlander is very simular to my '68 Sovereign with a lot of same original equipment. However, I do not have any hook up openings on the door below the bathroom window. Please let me know if this is the door you're referencing.
Again, thanks for the feedback and help.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by watt1968
... When you refer to the "One Stop Service Door", I assume you are speaking of the door below the bathroom window? Your '67 Overlander is very simular to my '68 Sovereign with a lot of same original equipment. However, I do not have any hook up openings on the door below the bathroom window. ...
Here's a picture that might help:

You can see a white hose (water) and a black cord (power) coming out of a small opening in the door below the bathroom window.

The brown sewer hose comes out of a trap-door in the bumper compartment.

I have my Airstream at home, so if more pictures would help, let me know.

Tom
Old 04-27-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
Tom,
I replied to your post earlier, but something apparently went wrong. Operator error? Anyhow, my one stop service door does not have any small openings for the power and city water. The door looks original except a PO installed some hinges that are now rusted. Those will go as soon as I make some other repairs. I also do not have a trap door for the sewer line and not sure where the drain lines are supposed to be routed. I guess POs made some changes along the way.
I would greatly appreciate any inside and outside close up pictures you could provide for both of the compartments below the bath widow. I am not in a rush as I have plenty of other things to work on.
Again, I greatly appreciate your help.
Tks,
Randy
Old 04-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Any other '68 owners out there?

Randy,

So I know what to shoot, are you wanting to recreate my setup?

Do you have some pictures to post of what you have?

I am thinking you may have a replacement "One Stop" door that does not have the same cut-out I have. If not, then things were done differently that year.

Tom
Old 04-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Just went over to the photo archives at vintage airstream. 1968 Sovereign 2 Yep, no flap like our '67s. Learn something new every day.
Could you post a pic? It's always been my recollection that most of the vintage units connected through or above the bumper.

Tom.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
Well, I would attach some pics, but the operator doesn't know how? Guess I need help again. Please let me know how to do this.
Tks,
Randy
Old 04-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Belleville , Ontario
Hook ups

Hello, your '68 Sovereign is nearly identical to mine aside from mine having leaky vista view windows. Your mention of the never-ending restoration scares me as I haven't started mine yet... I just finished a 1973 Serro Scotty, remember those? I've always wanted an Airstream though so that's my next project. She'll be a beauty again someday.
Regardless, I can answer your question regarding the hook-ups as my Sovereign is nearly entire original which makes my restoration easier in the sense I can see how it was assembled.
That hatch door where your power wire and water hook-up are should not have holes in it. The electric cord should be routed through the floor of that compartment into the bumper. On the left inside bottom of the bumper there is a door that opens where the sewer outlet is accessed. The power wire is routed through that door when the trailer is plugged in. For storage when traveling, etc, the power wire coils around two "hooks" on the underside of the hinged bumper top. When I opened my bumper for the first time there was the power cord neatly wrapped around the inside of the bumper lid.
As for the city water connection, that is on the outside left side of the left frame rail that the bumper fastens to. The plumbing also is still all original on mine (Ironically I think the only part of the trailer that doesn't leak!!!). On the side of the bumper there is a 1/2" pipe fastened to it that is fed through the hatch/trunk floor that goes directly to the water pressure regulator. On the outside end of that 1/2" pipe is a 90-degree female fitting for the water hose to fasten to.
Of course the water tank fill is at the front of the trailer. Something I thought I would tell you that I thought is neat in case your plumbing is gone, there is a valve at the front of my trailer that when opened allows me to fill the fresh water tank when connected to city water. If you're installing new plumbing I recommend this valve as it could be handy.
I'm on dial-up, but I could try to send a picture if you want to see what I'm talking about. I haven't started to renovate mine yet so I could try to answer any other questions you may have seeing that we have the same trailer.
Sorry for the long reply. I have to ask. Did you have any issues with rear frame sag? If so, where was your issue and what type of repair did you do? Mine has it bad but I haven't pulled the belly pan off yet, I'm too chicken...
Ryan
Old 04-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
Menormy,
Let me give you a little history on my Sovereign. When I bought the camper, late fall of 2004, the biggest problems it had was leaks, missing refrig door, and the box around the grey/black holding tank was completely rusted out. I rebuilt the box in summer of 2005, guessing at how it was put together and mounted. At that time I discovered frame rust under the bathroom area. Before I took it on the first camping trip I let a friend borrow the camper. When I got it back, summer of 2006, one of the windows had gotten broken out, some of the running lights were crushed, the outside leaks had gotten much worse, and the copper pipes spewed water in every direction.
My plans for this year are to fix the plumbing (95% complete), water heater leaks (complete), replace refrigerator (complete), get new tires, replace broken window, replace gaskets on roof and windows, replace fan motor on air conditioner, and repair/replace some other small items. This will allow my family and I to do some local camping.
Early next year I plan to repair floor and frame damage, redo the plumbing with PEX, and replace axles. This will be when I know for sure it there is a rear frame sagging issue. I do plan to re-inforce the rear frame as I have read this model is known for frame issues under the bath. From that point forward there are some items missing like the exhaust vent over the stove.
To answer your question concerning rear frame sag. I don't think I have a serious problem. When I remove the bathroom to replace flooring I plan to replace/repair and re-enforce with additional metal.
Back to what I was looking for. I am looking to restore my Sovereign back to original if possible. I obviously was missing parts when I purchased the camper. I've taken some pictures to post. Of course I still don't know how to post the pictures yet? If you get the opportunity, could you please take a few pics of the compartment at the bumper. I'll post my pics soon.
I want to thank you again for your help. If you have any questions on what little I've done so far, feel free to send an email.
Tks,
Randy
Old 04-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Belleville , Ontario
Hook Ups?

Hey Randy, I have tried to send the three pics I have for now. I'll get a close-up of the little door inside the bottom left of the bumper on Monday for you. I don't know where the camera is for starters and were going away first thing tomorrow morning until Monday.
Keep in mind when you see these pictures, this is how it was when we got it. The first sort-of shows the city water connection as I found it connected in the park where I found the trailer. Of course that plastic tee isn't part of it, however if you can make out the 90-degree elbow, that is original. Also just to the right of that you can see that nasty sewer connection, the little door in the bumper is where that is connected to the sewer. It's the same door in the bumper that the power wire feeds through. The metal box mounted near the water connection doesn't belong there, that is a Bell Canada connection as the PO had a phone installed in it.
The second pic is of the rear hatch doors - no holes. Notice the small gap between the top of the bumper and the bottom of the trailer shell, mine has NASTY frame say.
The third picture is of the trailer when we first got her home. The poor thing has had a rough life these last 12 years, the person I bought it from got it from the original owner who babied it. Unfortunately the last owner didn't appear to have a much affection for it and let it fall into disrepair. Unfortunately he passed away and the trailer was abandoned for a bit when I bought it from the estate. it needs literally new everything, we aren't fortunate enough to use it anytime in the near future. We took pics of everything then had to immediately discard all the rugs, uphostery, curtains, etc as it was all moldy.
Currently we keep it "covered" in two of those 20' garage-tent shelters until we build a nice carport on the side of the garage for it. Once that is up later this summer I'll remove the belly pan and the entire floor will be pulled out and I'll go from there. The floor has many tough spots and I intend on keeping this trailer for many years so I want and need to fix it right. I'm 31 now, I'm hoping to keep it until retirement as towing this is much cheaper than the new ones. Not only is it less expensive to restore old than purchase new (that remains to be seen by me) but these are 8" narrower which we really like and nearly half the weight. Seeing that my wife probably prefers her old F150 more than me, I don't see a larger truck anywhere in the near future so I don't want it to work too hard towing. Not to mention the price of gas...
If you need a different pic or have any other questions, just let me know.
In regards to your black tank issue, were you able to keep the original? That's so unfortunate that your A/S was returned with a missing window and other issues, I would be so extremely upset. Have you had any luck locating a replacement window?
Regards, Ryan
Old 04-30-2008, 09:20 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Belleville , Ontario
Hey Randy, I have been trying for some time to post pics here with no luck at all. Maybe it's my dial-up (that's all I've got as I'm rural), or maybe I just don't know what I'm doing. Regardless if you'd like to give me your email address I can send them that way. If needed, mine is menormy@aol.com. Too bad I can't get these pics to work as they may help someone else!
Regards, Ryan
Old 05-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
Ryan,
Thanks for trying. I too have not mastered the concept of attaching pics to the forum either. I'm going figure this thing out one day! I just sent you an email. After re-reading your reply, I realized I didn't answer one of your questions. Yes, the black water tank was in good shape, but the box around the tank was completely shot. A friend of mine works at a tractor trailer repair shop. He helped me make a replacement box.
As far as being upset about the condition of the camper when it was returned. Lessons learned! I don't let anyone borrow my camper anymore.
You have a safe trip and enjoy.
Tks,
Randy