Old 12-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1992 25' Excella
Venice , Florida
Help with water leak

1993 Excella 25 twin bed : Have a tough to find water leak...leaks when connected to a water system and not when drawing from the tank. Leak is a drip which I see at the bottom of the wheel well almost directly under the sink. All lines under the sink are NOT leaking...checked under the floor compartment and no sign of diagram of supply in my manual : does anyone have a diagram and or has anyone had this issue ?

harryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member
2009 19' Flying Cloud
Columbia , South Carolina
City Water Inlet

I had the same symptom. Where is your city water inlet? Is it above the wheel well? These can give you a small leak that will not be present when using the fresh water tank. Mine seemed to leak more when I used the water a lot, like taking a shower.

These inlets can be repaired easily.

Brucethept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master
It very well could be what Bruce said butů..

I had a leak that wasn't noticeable unless I was hooked up to city water. City water can be up to 90 psi., and it is a constant pressure. So more water escaped for a longer period.
Pump pressure is way less psi and I turned the pump off when I left the trailer. The leak was still happening but less water came out for a shorter period of time, so I didn't even notice it.
I use a pressure restricter when I use city water now, just in case
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
This could be caused by expansion of water inside the system when the water heater is left on. This expansion is supposed to be cushioned by a bubble of air in the top of the water heater. That bubble of air can be easily absorbed by the water itself, or blown out the water heater pressure relief valve. Then the pressure is so great within the lines it will find the weakest connection and leak.

Try leaving the hot water heater off and see if the leak is still there. If not you can restore the bubble in the hot water heater by turning off the water supply, hold open the water heater pressure release valve so excess water can escape, and open the nearest hot water faucet to let air in to replace it.

This is a common problem that many owners are not aware is happening. The best cure is turning the water heater off when not needing it, such as after it heats a supply of hot water.

By the way all modern Airstreams have a built in water pressure regulator inside the city water hookup connection that limits pressure to 60 psi.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote