Old 01-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
2011 20' Flying Cloud
Jackson , Wyoming
I read the manual and recalibrated several times. Dealers recalibrated several times. The panel was replaced. Sensors were replaced. Nothing worked - the system still would not work. The Sealevel system IS more accurate but it's not 100% accurate. It's an improvement.

MPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
I've had to recalibrate mine a few times before I started getting reasonable readings. Three things help, I've found ...

1. Start with empty tanks, but add 3 gallons before calibrating the "empty" setting

2. After setting the level, wait a minute before calibrating

3. Don't expect a lot of accuracy. Levels seem to change depending on temperature, state of charge in the battery, and unknown other factors.

steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi I personally gave up on this system. It was worked on a few times while under warranty and only worked for a short time. The sensors work on water pressure and electrical signals. So how much water is in the tank, high or low altitude, varying battery voltage and with the long flat tanks, how level your trailer is. Not to mention that Airstream wasn't considerate enough to make access panels so you can get to the sensors for replacement. They can't even tell you where they are without you having to remove your tanks to find them.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
On mine everything but the black water sensor works (kind of) I , too, did the replacement/recalibration thing. I finally just gave up. I've discontected my black water sensor and just look down the tank when flushing. I've thought of replacing the whole system but what I have works well enough. Just live with it.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
After having it fixed so many times, I got so PO'ed I called the "factory" in Dallas. I was willing to drive there, just to have it fixed or calibrated or whatever it took to get the job done. Talk about "customer NO service"!!! They make it very plain that if you show up there they will do nothing, not even look at it. Their attitude is that you have to take it to an Airstream dealer as it is NOT THEIR problem. Is there anyone anywhere that is happy with this POS???
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." Yogi Berra
Snedwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I struggled with my MicroPulse for one year before I gave up. I re calibrated (sometimes multiple times in a week) I replaced sensors, cables and the control board. I spoke to the factory. I spoke to the service manager at Colonial. I talked to every Airstream owner I could who owned one. Most people thought I was crazy to even think I could make it work.
I studied the entire subject as I felt that I should be able to beat whatever was making mine weird.

Every time I replaced a new component I thought I might finally have found "the issue". Finally after a year of lots of effort, the one tank monitor that had worked the entire time failed and I said enough (my issues had revolved around the fresh water tank indicator).

I finally did this.

So far, so good. I have had no issues with two weekend trips of use. That is two weekends better than the old system.....
My understanding is that Airstream is switching to a system like this as we discuss this.
It is about time!
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
I guess I'm old-fashioned, but my wife and I were camping long before electronic sensors came into use.

Our old travel trailer had the fresh water tank in the closet. To check it, we just opened the closet door and shined a flashlight through it. The porta-potty was also easy to check; just look in hole.

Our cabin cruiser (boat) was similar. To check the tanks, we just opened the engine cover and looked at the tanks (fresh water and black water tanks were easily visible, and gray water drained overboard).

The MicroPulse system on our 2005 Bambi was never reliable from when we purchased the trailer new, and the gray water tank sensor quit working after about three years. The black water tank always indicated EMPTY, even when you can look in the toilet valve and see that the tank is almost full. So, it is only useful to see if I remembered to turn the marine battery isolator switch ON and the batteries aren't dead; and because it contains the water pump ON/OFF switch.

The black water tank fills before the gray water. So, when the black water tank is full (checked by eyeball), I know that the gray water tank probably also needs dumping, too. From camping with two teenage granddaughters, I now know that I can add the contents of our portable, "emergency", seven-gallon, freshwater container, without exceeding the combined capacity of the black and gray water tanks. Oh, and not being able to shower and wash and style their hair IS an emergency to teenage girls.

Other "manual" tank-level checks:

* The fresh water tank is empty when the water pump won't stop and water doesn't come out of the faucet.

* The batteries are dead when the lights get dim, or when the inverter low-voltage alarm starts screaming when watching TV.

Note: We only use one battery at a time; so when this happens, I just turn the battery switch from "1" to "2".

I guess I could replace the MicroPulse, but my low-tech "manual" system works fine for us; and I figure a new tank monitoring system will just go bad in a couple of years.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member
2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Phoenix, after all of the same problems with the Micropulse system I am down to a couple of options, one is to swap the AS for a square box that has a working system, (wore out two of them, never any problem with the tank monitors), or go with your option. At this point I think I can get along fine with a little common sense and no monitors. The mystery to me is why Airstream owners have continued to pay for such crappy equipment as the Micropulse. If it had been one of the auto makers they would have been tarred and feathered by now or broke and out of business.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member
2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Well, I can't say whether the MicroPulse system is better or not than any other... When we bought our trailer two years ago (used) the fresh and grey level indicators appeared to work fine, the black level indicator was off (didn't read anything until the tank was about half full, then read about 3/8 when the tank was full).

So, a couple of weeks ago I decided to calibrate the system. The process is cumbersome and uses a bunch of water, but I got through it. Now all tank level indicators appear to be working well. Time will tell if they continue to work.
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:41 AM   #24
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
It's notable that Airstream chose the MicroPulse and ours hasn't worked well. However, I didn't buy our Bambi specifically for the tank monitors; and if it hadn't come with them as standard equipment, I wouldn't have paid extra for them or bought an aftermarket system. So, the fact that the MicroPulse doesn't work isn't a real bother for me.

It is puzzling why Airstream didn't do a little research and equip our Bambi with a more reliable tank monitoring system. However, this deficiency is overshadowed by their continued installation of Goodyear Marathon tires, along with a few other annoyances.

It seems that for a few hundred dollars, the factory could upgrade the parts that cause the most grief, which would significantly reduce owner complaints and warranty repairs. Considering the price of a new Airstream, this cost would probably not even be noticed.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Mine is back in the shop. Took a few months but MicroPulse is finally in communication with the shop. They've given them a more detailed set of instructions to recalibrate it. They have said if this doesn't repair it then they will send someone down to look at it.

- Ronnie
bike_addict is offline   Reply With Quote