Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2015, 08:05 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Help! On the road and need assistance with hooking up water

I just purchased a 2015 International. When I went to hookup the water for the first time this morning there is a steady stream (about as much water as the hose is putting out) coming from under the AS. It is coming out behind the rear tires on the same side the water goes in.

Any ideas? This isn't normal is it? I'm a first time RVer.

Thanks in advance.
Jessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

easy fix

most likely your low point drain valves are open. ( hot and cold water )
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi. It could be your drains that are open from the winterizing process your trailer probably went through before you bought it.

Where the water is coming out you'll see either a white plastic spigot with a wing on it that you can slide left or right to close it. Or it's a brass fixture with a lever you can move to close it.

Try that and let us know how it goes. Good luck and enjoy!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Sure you aren't hooked up to the tank flush instead of the fresh water inlet? That has happened before.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:13 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Definitely hooked up to the fresh water inlet. :-) Although, I wouldn't put that one past me in the future. I'm going to go try and mess with the drains. Thank you!!!
Old 04-19-2015, 08:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Fresh water, not city? Then look for the white plastic drain between the wheels. You'll see exactly where it is with the water filling the tank.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:26 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Hi. It could be your drains that are open from the winterizing process your trailer probably went through before you bought it.

Where the water is coming out you'll see either a white plastic spigot with a wing on it that you can slide left or right to close it. Or it's a brass fixture with a lever you can move to close it.

Try that and let us know how it goes. Good luck and enjoy!
It was the drains. Thanks for helping me all! And thanks for letting me know how to close them, SteveSueMac.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:28 AM   #8
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
Definitely hooked up to the fresh water inlet. :-) Although, I wouldn't put that one past me in the future. I'm going to go try and mess with the drains. Thank you!!!
My suggestion is to go back to the person or dealer, or find another Airstream owner, and have them walk you through the operation of the trailer. That includes the winterization and de winterization steps. The Airstreams are mostly pretty easy to understand and operate, but you can do some damage if you don't get it right. Disaster examples would be lighting the water heater when it is empty, or not putting RV antifreeze in the drain traps when stored in cold weather.

As mentioned, your drain valves are open. You probably have two brass valves for the lines in that area, plus a plastic valve for the tank drain. I suspect there is another drain valve near where your water heater is located.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:38 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Thanks for the suggestion Drathaar. I will most likely not be doing the winterization myself for awhile but when I am ready to tackle that I will make sure to learn the proper steps. I am being very careful to stay in areas in which the pipes won't freeze.

Since you mentioned it though, I was following the instructions in the manual regarding the hot water. I hooked up to city water and allowed the faucet in the bathroom run with the handle pointed to hot for several minutes. It was my impression from the manual that I could them turn on the hot water heater button. Is this correct?

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2015, 08:50 AM   #10
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Jessie, that sounds exactly correct, but ensure your water heater is not on bypass. You should have a lot of air coming out of the faucet for a few minutes as the tank fills from empty (assuming empty).

The reason I mentioned it, was we burned one up on our first AS. The switch was close to the light switch in the bathroom, and it was turned on by mistake. I built a switch guard to go over the top of the WH switches on our new trailer. Be aware that spiders like the smell of propane, and will sometimes spin a web in the WH burner tube. You can have lighting issues then. There are mesh guards, or you can just run a pipe cleaner through the tube to clean it out.

You might want to keep a notebook in your trailer to document how you do things, plus keep reminders of things to add or do.

Most of all, have fun!
Old 04-19-2015, 09:20 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Jessie-when my husband and I purchased our trailer in 2013, we were total newbies too. I remember our first trip running around like keystone cops trying to figure out how to do everything. I felt frustrated and I remember asking my husband when the fun was supposed to start.

The people here on this forum are lifesavers so you're asking the right people. Congratulations on your new purchase and have fun!! (Yes, the fun did start for us).
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I agree Time2play. A lot of good info on this forum. I'm a seasoned RVer with my first Airstream on order, so I'm sure I'll be going to this well from time to time.
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:42 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via AIM to spclkaz
I am not at all familiar with the new Airstream plumbing...but could it be that you used the hose to fill the tank and it is now OVERFLOWING as it is designed to do...???
spclkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
We do just like the airplane pilots do. We have a checklist of interior and exterior things to do before we move the RV.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:26 PM   #15
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver 67 View Post
We do just like the airplane pilots do. We have a checklist of interior and exterior things to do before we move the RV.
We should all do that! Each and every time...
Old 04-19-2015, 05:36 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Hey Jessie, and helpful members: Thanks for sharing this. We just picked up our 2015 Flying Cloud and getting ready to do a short trip to shake out any problems. Its nice to know there are so many fellow members ready to answer our questions.
phann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #17
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver 67 View Post
Start YOUR "Pre-fRight" list with this!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:19 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I use a check list for getting ready to leave a campsite...every time! It hangs on the wall beside the fridge. Trouble is, after a while you tend to just brush over the items without actually checking. Like forgetting to check the slide out pantry is actually locked. Or following up in the guests who put the aerial down but didn't center it!
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:43 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
It's called checklist discipline...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
I use a check list for getting ready to leave a campsite...every time! It hangs on the wall beside the fridge. Trouble is, after a while you tend to just brush over the items without actually checking. Like forgetting to check the slide out pantry is actually locked. Or following up in the guests who put the aerial down but didn't center it!
I worked in airline pilot training for 25 years. Human beings tend to let things slide once they become familiar. We spent a lot of time trying to make sure our pilots didn't get into that habit.

First, make sure the things you tend to miss are actually on your checklist. Make the order of items you check flow in order as you walk through and around the trailer. Efficient checklists are easier.

Then, slow down, pay attention, and use the checklist. Discourage interruptions. Start over if something big disrupts your train of thought.

Checklists work if you do.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:21 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Slow deliberate actions when preparing for a tow. Safety first, convenience second. Peace,jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote