Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
Hillbilly Hagrid

1973 29' Ambassador
Stanford , Kentucky
Grey water...where does it go?

I looked for a general question area on this forum and didn't see it..so here is my dumb question...
First I need an owners manual on this thing...I have a service manual..but I need a manual that tells me "how to" on this unit..where can I get one?
Second...Ive had other motor-homes and they have always had three tanks...fresh..black..and gray... I notice my AS only has two..
My problem with this started when I tried to get my shower to drain...I had a big leak coming out of that area and shower would not drain..I replaced everything under there.....still wouldn't drain...well right before I started to pull all the pipes apart I went and looked at drain valve.... I opened it and got drenched with dirty shower water...then shower started draining fine..I started looking around and found that the drain coming from shower(and I assume all gray water like kitchen sink etc) came in under the tank valve and above bottom"plug"?....so that water was just coming down there and being trapped in-between two valves....so my question is...
Where the heck does the gray water suppose to go if you don't have a camping spot with sewer that you can attach to all the time?...do you crack the tank valve above it? I don't see how water can drain up?.....

I'm confused..please fill me in....
Old 03-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
I think some people use buckets underneath (Eww) and some people use those tote tank things.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Our 65 Safari also does not have a grey water tank. When camping with no sewer hook-up we use a 25 gal. Blue Boy. When full we wheel it to the dump station.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I use an 18 gallon blue boy 68's had no grey tank. I got the 4 wheel model with the pull handle and have been very happy with it.

Thetford SmartTote Portable Waste Tanks from PPL
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I believe that AS didn't put gray tanks in until '73 in some models and in all models in '74.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
KyMoonshine,
You can order an owner's manual for your '73 from Airstream at this web address.

Not positive, but I believe the Excella models were the only '73's that had gray water tanks. In those days (before environmental enlightenment) it was common to hook a hose to the gray water outlet and let it discharge to the ground. So, there wasn't a recognized need for a gray water tank.

Good luck with your "new" trailer and welcome back to the past....
Old 03-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
Hillbilly Hagrid

1973 29' Ambassador
Stanford , Kentucky
Thanks guys.....
I think I will build a cool old steampunk looking tank on wheels to use...something that matches the AS instead of blue plastic...

The info was very helpful...now I know
Old 03-19-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
Klatawa (to travel)

1965 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Bremerton , Washington
We used a blue boy with our Safari because when camping in Oregon we got "tagged" for having a bucket and had to go buy a "closed system". We added a gray water tank to our TW.
2015 Chev Silverado HC
Klatawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyMoonshine View Post
I looked for a general question area on this forum and didn't see it..so here is my dumb question...
First I need an owners manual on this thing...I have a service manual..but I need a manual that tells me "how to" on this unit..where can I get one?
Second...Ive had other motor-homes and they have always had three tanks...fresh..black..and gray... I notice my AS only has two..
My problem with this started when I tried to get my shower to drain...I had a big leak coming out of that area and shower would not drain..I replaced everything under there.....still wouldn't drain...well right before I started to pull all the pipes apart I went and looked at drain valve.... I opened it and got drenched with dirty shower water...then shower started draining fine..I started looking around and found that the drain coming from shower(and I assume all gray water like kitchen sink etc) came in under the tank valve and above bottom"plug"?....so that water was just coming down there and being trapped in-between two valves....so my question is...
Where the heck does the gray water suppose to go if you don't have a camping spot with sewer that you can attach to all the time?...do you crack the tank valve above it? I don't see how water can drain up?.....

I'm confused..please fill me in....
Vintage Trailer Supply.com sells gray tanks that wil fit inside the bellypan cavity on the 50's, 60's & 70's era trailers.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #10
Hillbilly Hagrid

1973 29' Ambassador
Stanford , Kentucky
Cool guys...thanks for the info....anyone here know how many gallon the waste tank(under the toilet) is in my center bath 1973 29ft Ambassador?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyMoonshine View Post
Cool guys...thanks for the info....anyone here know how many gallon the waste tank(under the toilet) is in my center bath 1973 29ft Ambassador?
I don't know your size b-tank but the early tanks are on the small side. Our '66 is 11 gallons. After 5 years we have made it 'work' for us up to 5 days (2 of us). NO BEANS for sure!
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey water