Old 05-26-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Gig Harbor , Washington
Grey Water Tank Full?

Just got back from a trip where we had partial hookups, no sewer in our 2013 '25 International. After a couple short showers and doing a few dishes, our grey water backed up into the shower. Gauge showed full. I was able to dump the tank, but it only seemed like less than 10 gallons came out. I believe it's a 37 gallon tank. It didn't take long to empty. I rechecked the gauge and it showed empty. After another short shower, the gauge showed almost full again. Another dump and again only a small amount of grey water came out. Any suggestions? I will call the dealer tomorrow because it's still under warranty, I just don't want to have to drag it out there if there is a simple solution. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
a couple short showers and doing a few dishes
Sounds about right to me. How long was your stay?

I don't see how you could have a partial clog that would let a quick 10 gallons out and then act like it is empty. The gauges are always finicky.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Gig Harbor , Washington
We were there 3 days, but it filled up on the start of day 2. No way we put 37 gallons of water in that tank. But since it backed up in the shower it was obviously full. It seems like there is a blockage or something in there.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
68's did not have grey tanks so we carry a 16 gallon "blue boy". We stay at a lot of campgrounds with water but no sewer hookup. Unless I am very careful we can fill it up in 2 days and that is only hand washing and dishes, no shower. I think you may be using a lot more water than you realize.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Dave- how level were you? If not pretty lose to level, I wonder if that contributed to the backfill. Otherwise, could be a clog of some sort. Hair in the drain? Any large pieces of food on those dishes or a decent amount of oil, butter or other kind of grease?

The Micropulse monitors are notoriously terrible but something has to explain that backfill in the shower...
Old 05-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemere , Quebec
When we partial hook up, I use the tank and pump to make me remember, every time I use water that I don't have sewer.
WBCCI 20130
TAC QC-2
Pitou49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
We normally camp with full hookups, but when we do not, I have found the same as you, our grey tank seems full after only a couple of navy showers each and a few dish washings -something doesn't seem to add up - but the shower backs up just the same! So I guess unless there is some sort of airlock going on, the grey tank must be full!

I have developed a couple of tricks to use - although I have yet to need to try them in practice.

(1) I carry a couple of plastic tubs that are a perfect fit for our sinks - we could wash dishes in there and dump into the toilet to conserve the grey tank. (Our back tank - normally used only for "peeing" seems to last for weeks!

(2) I don't want to carry a "blue boy" as we would rarely use it, but I did get an adapter cap for our drain pipe that allows for a standard water hose connection. I carry a short length of hose, and I also bought a 5gallon collapsible water container that we will reserve for grey water - so if I had to, we could carry waste water away 5 gallons at a time to a dump station or campground washroom so as not to have to move the trailer to a dump site.

Of course, in a pinch, I could just hook up the hose alone to the sewer cap and quietly drain some grey water surreptitiously at night ............. but I wouldn't do that ............ or would i?!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Gig Harbor , Washington
One thing I want to try is to fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and dump it down a drain. In theory it should take just over 7 buckets. If it doesn't, there's an issue. Or fill up the tank and then measure it on the way out.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
After the backup does the water gradually go down in the shower? Even if you do not dump? Could a vent be plugged? Jim
Old 05-27-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Gig Harbor , Washington
I have not checked the vent yet. I called the AS dealer and they suggested pouring some tank cleaner down the drain and seeing if that helps. He also wondered if the fresh water connection was somehow bleeding into the grey tank. That still wouldn't explain the small amount of grey water being discharged from a "full" tank. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
If the water measurement doesn't add up, maybe try filling the grey tank and draining it, when no more comes out, try snaking it from the outside to see if that will dislodge anything??
Old 05-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #12
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_oleary View Post
One thing I want to try is to fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and dump it down a drain. In theory it should take just over 7 buckets. If it doesn't, there's an issue. Or fill up the tank and then measure it on the way out.
That's what I was waiting to hear someone say: you need to know the real current capacity you have.

Then, compare it to the spec for your year and model, and either relax, or find the problem. Deal with facts, not intuition, as an old boss of mine always said.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
The Villages , Florida
The sensor for the grey water in our 34' starts to show yellow and red very shortly after we dump it. I think it's a sensor problem. If I dump the tank as soon s it's yellow or going to red, I get less than 37 gallons also.
[COLOR="Red"]WBCCI #4941

"Jerry and our Amazing Dream Stream"
PhiDor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:44 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Gig Harbor , Washington
Tank update: I poured some tank cleaner down the drains and flushed it. Then I filled the grey tank until it was backing up in the shower. I took a 5 gallon bucket and proceeded to empty the tank into it, one bucket at a time. It took about 7 buckets to empty it. Since it holds 37 gallons, I think I'm good. I'm not sure if I had a block of some kind or just didn't realize how fast it fills up, but I will be extra careful the next time I dry camp.