Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Granbury , Texas
grey water access Overlander 69

Hello everyone!
Can anyone tell me (who is asking for the fix it man) how to access our grey water tank in our Overlander? Do we have to tear apart the whole bathroom? Pouring water in the sink and tub has water pouring out underneath.
the black water tank holds.
Thanks!
Lezlie Gravens
LezlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Lezlie,

Unless installed by a prior owner, your trailer does not have a gray water tank. There is a cap which belongs on the sewer outlet to prevent gray water from flowing onto the ground. If it is leaking before the cap, there is a leak or brake in the drain lines.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by LezlieG View Post
Hello everyone!
Can anyone tell me (who is asking for the fix it man) how to access our grey water tank in our Overlander? Do we have to tear apart the whole bathroom? Pouring water in the sink and tub has water pouring out underneath.
Thanks!
Lezlie Gravens
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:07 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Granbury , Texas
So the grey water flows into the black water tank? Can you shower or use the bathroom sink to wash your face? It seems like the pipe leading to the black water tank would fill up pretty quickly...
Thanks!
Old 02-20-2016, 05:37 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
So the grey water flows into the black water tank? Can you shower or use the bathroom sink to wash your face? It seems like the pipe leading to the black water tank would fill up pretty quickly...
Thanks!
The grey water flows directly onto the ground. There is no storage for grey water on trailers built before the 1974 model year.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:43 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Sun Lakes , Arizona
If you place the dump cap on and pull up on the dump valve gray water will go into the black tank. Prior to moving close the dump valve. At the dump station you will have a mess when you remove the dump cap to install the stinky slinky.

Your only other choice is to purchase a portable gray tank, you can get them on line or at any RV sto re, I think you can find them at Walmart, maybe they cost about 125.00.
Redleger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:46 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Sun Lakes , Arizona
I forgot to mention that in the owners manual they show how to build a cat hole when boondocking for the gray water.

When we camp with full hook up we connect the gray tank to the ground, leave the black tank drain valve closed. This works ok
Redleger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Hello everyone!
Thanks!
Lezlie Gravens
Confirming other comments, our '67 Overlander does not have a grey water tank. You have three practical options: Buy a "Blue Boy" portable grey tank which has to be rolled or carried to the camp ground dump station, camp only at a full hook up facility and let the grey water run continuously out thru the "stinky slinky" or dig what some call a "chuck hole" for the grey water. Very few camp grounds (maybe none) will allow you to dig the hole.

You can let the grey water run into the black tank by using the blank outlet cover, but that is really not practical since the blank tank only holds I think 20 gallons. There have also been threads on Air Forums that discuss composting toilets in lieu of flush toilets but they are a bit expensive and bulky but will fit in the rear toilet of an Overlander. That would free up the black tank which could then be used for grey water, but again, there is that measly 20 gallon cap'y.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:50 PM   #8

1970 27' Overlander
La Grange , Texas
The grey water immediately exits through the sewer connection at the back of the Overlander. As Redlander mentioned you will need to get a Blueboy to collect your grey water if you do not want it emptying onto the ground (or are not allowed to by the campground) and you do not have a sewer hookup at your campground. Blueboys come in varying sizes. Note the weight of the empty Blueboy as you will have to pick it up when empty to put it into your TV.
Rootsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
If you have someone run water into a sink inside the trailer and stand outside you will see that there is a discharge tube where the sink water exits that joins the larger sewer outlet after the waste gate valve. I had forgotten about the fact that my 69 Safari did not have a grey water tank and was confused about water dripping out of the back of my trailer when we were camped at a campground with no sewer connect. I had already had the waste gate valve replaced and was very much hoping it was not black water which it was not. Sure enough it was grey water leaking around the cover. Now I have to be sure to have a campsite with a sewer hook up (ask because sometimes they will say "hookups" and not have sewer which would count as "Full Hookup".). BlueBoy containers are common for these trailers and are much cheaper than adding a grey water tank.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Hello everyone!
Can anyone tell me (who is asking for the fix it man) how to access our grey water tank in our Overlander?
If your fix it man does not know there is no grey water tank, run, and find someone who knows what they are doing.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Yes, he knows little about old AS.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:23 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Granbury , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
If your fix it man does not know there is no grey water tank, run, and find someone who knows what they are doing.
He did/does, but I did not. I prefer to ask questions and am impatient to get this thing DONE, whereas he is taking time to look over the whole thing.
He is not sure this is worth our time and effort but I am determined it is!
Old 02-23-2016, 09:24 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Granbury , Texas
Thanks so much for that!
Old 02-23-2016, 09:27 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Granbury , Texas
Very helpful information! thanks so much!
Old 02-23-2016, 09:29 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Granbury , Texas
Thanks for your help!