Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2019, 08:05 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Florida
GrayWater Holding Tank Help Needed and Appreciated 65 Globetrotter

Good morning,
Finally in the process of redoing 65 Globetrotter. I ordered 5" grey water tank from Vintage and seems to fit well between frame rails. My problem is connecting the shower drain as there is little room for a side connection and no room for a top of tank connecting unless I drop the tank, which I'd prefer not to do. I was wondering if I can go straight down into tank from shower drain and install a p-trap inside the tank leaving about a 1/2" gap from the top for outflow. As you can see I am not a plumber and any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Mike
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
So based on what I am hearing, it sounds like your grey water tank is going to be mounted directly below the shower pan, so you almost have no choice but to go directly from the shower drain to the tank. Is this the situation, or do you have flexibility as to where your shower pan drains?

If you have no flexibility, then an alternative to the P-trap is called a Hepvo. This is basically a straight section of PVC that has a rubber one-way valvish thing in it so that it serves the same function as a P-trap. The advantage is that the Hepvo takes up less space than a P-trap. It is hard to imagine how you would actually fit this concoction together without some kind of custom fitting, though. You would need a drain from your shower that both goes down into your tank, makes a secure connection with the top of your tank, but also attaches inside the tank to the Hepvo or P-trap. The spun in fitting on the top of the tank is going to stick up some as well...very fiddly to imagine.

Another option that is commonly done is to attach your plumbing from the shower pan and other sources of grey water to the piping of tank outlet. This assumes that your outlet has some piping to it, and you don't have your grey water dump valve mounted smack against the tank. It doesn't matter if you fill your tank from the bottom or from the top, as long as the top of the tank is below your flow, gravity will do its thing.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
On our 1960 I just connected straight into the tank no trap. Use a rubber plug when done showering, and no smells come out. It's not connected to the black tank. Pull plug when dumping and it works as a vent. Many years no problems.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:01 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Florida
Thanks for the replies. Belegedhel, I did not get the spun-on connections as I will put a watertight opening port on top of tank to feed my tank connection outlets through. I've researched Hepvo but again no room, so I'm going to go with the straight pipe as Shacksman suggested. Again thanks for the replies....Mike
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote