Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Gots a leak

Boondocking for first time this weekend

Noticed my water tank sensor kept showing a bit less then a bit less.,..had a very small leak from drain plug - will fix that momentarily as I have extra plug and the white tape...at that point I had half a tank - cut on hot water bypass as I thought it would not have caused this as I was loosing even without water pump on

Still kept going down

Checked the crappy FE tank valve - it appears that a leak is coming from behind that valve - the valve has a plastic white base and drops of water slowly percolate from there....

Guidance please

It won't greatly affect the boondocking per se - it may not totally run out by tomorrow AM when we leave - we have bottled water so ok there -

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1412461635.763694.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	652.4 KB
ID:	223600

Old 10-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Don't do anything otherwise you stand the risk of losing the entire water left in your tank. Just enjoy the half tank that way you won't have to run in the bush for #2, especially your family. Have tank valve replaced by Camping World (cheaper & cost effective) anytime you run across one. I'm sure you don't carry gorilla tape otherwise cut a piece and tape the valve opening to reduce the rate of drip till you get home - OR - just put a container under the drip and reuse the collected water for shower or flushing. Enjoy and how is the new EU700 is holding ...
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I think that valve handle be closed at 3:00 and 9:00 and open at 12:00 and 6:00. It Looks like it might be just a tad open.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
We're gonna need some pliers and a set of 30 weight ball bearings...

-Red
Old 10-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Ima wait and fiddle with it when I get home tomorrow

Joshua - the generator is amazing

Old 10-04-2014, 06:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Do you have to cut an access hatch to get at the clamps behind the valve. Saw a 2015 Airstream video and they are still using these stupid valves. I guess I'm lucky, mine hasn't broken or leaked but it's probably due.
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The valve on our 2007 was so tight you needed a pliers to turn it, the 2012 valve works great and unlike metal it won't corrode inside. My concern is whether road debris could fly up and break it off. Probably should protect it with something.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
An occasional shot of food grade silicone will help tremendously. John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Somewhere here on airforums there is a thread about replacing that silly cheap little POS with a real valve. That is one of those things I've been going to do. However I guess I'm waiting for it to break, because I must think I work better under pressure. As mentioned above, silicone spray works well to keep it moving freely. Since that's a big tank and the water going though that valve is on its way to the ground, and the food companies in the US are putting a bunch of unhealthy crap in my food anyway, I don't worry about the food grade part.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Well - it held water enough to get through the weekend but I did not shower because of it - no biggie - short weekend camping anyway

I fiddled with the valve - it was turned exactly parallel with the trailer - pushed it back and forth and pushed it past parallel resting against the metal - not sure if that was the culprit but I thought even after that I saw some drops of water from around the base and not from the valve

I am going to refill to full today and see if it leaks - as well as make sure hot water plug is water tight

Like the silicone idea - I'll try that too - mine as been easy enough to operate so far

I'm still scratching my head - cannot imagine how I leaked so much water in so little time - it wasn't gushing out of there

Wondering if there is not something in missing in addition

Old 10-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Well - it held water enough to get through the weekend but I did not shower because of it - no biggie - short weekend camping anyway

I fiddled with the valve - it was turned exactly parallel with the trailer - pushed it back and forth and pushed it past parallel resting against the metal - not sure if that was the culprit but I thought even after that I saw some drops of water from around the base and not from the valve

I am going to refill to full today and see if it leaks - as well as make sure hot water plug is water tight

Like the silicone idea - I'll try that too - mine as been easy enough to operate so far

I'm still scratching my head - cannot imagine how I leaked so much water in so little time - it wasn't gushing out of there

Wondering if there is not something in missing in addition

I'm guessing your pump is not pulsing on sometimes when no one is running water. If it does, that would indicate a small water leak somewhere in the plumbing. That will eventually show itself somewhere.

Kern
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Someone else here had a mysterious fresh water leak and found that the shower faucet/valve was slowly leaking water! You might want to check your shower.
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Is water leaking from the weep/drain holes in the black cover that surrounds the water tank?

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I just refilled the water tank - oddly - it seemed to fill quicker than I suspected (micro pulse may be something just throwing this all off....

Drained the hot water tank and replaced with new plug with plenty of the white tape. Turned on pump filled tank - dried the area of the hot plug really good - no signs of leaks there now (had a tiny trickle there before I believe) - refilled the fresh tank again to overfilled and micro pulse is showing full

Made sure all water lines were filled including hot - (hot had a bunch of air)

Pump is off now and system pressurized

Dried off the area of the petcock really well

Will recheck everything in an hour - turn on pump (should not kick on pump I presume) and check the fresh tank valve area

Old 10-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Gots a leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
Is water leaking from the weep/drain holes in the black cover that surrounds the water tank?

I will check for sure momentarily

Assuming the pressure holds that would not rule out a leak from the fresh tank valve ? I am sure it was leaking yesterday - but perhaps it was not in the uber correct precise location

Old 10-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
You've probably seen it already, but there's another thread active right now about replacing the drain valve on the freshwater tanks (in case yours is leaking).

Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Just joined that thread and I think I'll have that access panel off to look at the small hose that attaches the petcock to the FW tank

Good news is - no loss of pressure - hours later the pump when turned on does not kick on at all

I believe at this point is that most of my "loss" at this point may have been just some funny readings with the micropulse - the leak from the petcock appears to be very slow - I put a pitcher under it and 2 hours later there was maybe 2 tablespoons worth

Old 10-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post

I believe at this point is that most of my "loss" at this point may have been just some funny readings with the micropulse - the leak from the petcock appears to be very slow - I put a pitcher under it and 2 hours later there was maybe 2 tablespoons worth

Hmmmm... You said this is your first time boondocking... you might want to check and review with other family members just how much water they used while washing, flushing the toilet, washing and rinsing dishes, etc. Conserving energy and water becomes paramount while boondocking compared to having full hookups! (And I'd still check that shower hose to make sure that faucet and valve are really turned all the way off).
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Do you have to cut an access hatch to get at the clamps behind the valve. Saw a 2015 Airstream video and they are still using these stupid valves. I guess I'm lucky, mine hasn't broken or leaked but it's probably due.
On ours... no; simply remove the two screws and the valve comes out. It has a connection on the rear to some flexible water tubing that may have loosened and allow water leakage.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote