Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Good bye MicroPulse....

......and good riddance!

I promised that I would report back after installing my new Tank monitoring system and here is my report.

The old system being removed was the factory installed Catcon MicroPulse.
Multiple replacements of sensors, control panel and wiring failed to bring the reliability I wanted so out it came.

New system chosen to replace the old is made by Garnet. I chose the model 7093PW for a number of reasons:
It has a switch for my water pump.
It has the ability to read propane tank sensors of the type used on the tanks sold by Vintage Supply in the 30 pound size (I can feel the next project taking shape...).
It uses tank sensors that literally stick to the outside of the tank thus making them impervious to the typical black tank sensor killer toilet paper. It was reasonably priced.

You can see the system here....SeeLeveL Gauges by Garnet Instruments Ltd. - Model 709-P3W

Installation was a leisurely 4 or 5 hour project over this weekend. I had to deal with creating a bezel for the new monitor as the Catcon monitor was larger than the new one. Then I used some West System epoxy and a small piece of plywood to fill one side of the old hole so the new panel screws had a place to bite (Airstream cut the hole too large for even the old panel and there were only two screws actually holding the panel in).
Finally I ran new wires (jacketed 14 gauge, tinned wire unused from an old boat project) to each sensor, boy am I glad I ran a wire pull the last time I was in there! Next each sensor is cut to length for each tank. Installing the sensors is easy-peasy, just clean the side of the tank with solvent and attach the sensor. I should point out that in the case of the 16' Airstream you can get at the water tank very easily as it is below the settee, I even had enough room to attach the black tank sensor through a hole in the floor beneath the closet. No under trailer work this time!
Finally just wire it all up and turn it on. Everything worked first time!

A couple of notes on the sensors bear discussion here. Think of these sensors as an electronic ruler that sees the tank level and reports back to the panel. The placement of the sensor on the side of the tank is critical if you are concerned about accuracy. For my fresh water tank I ran the tank to the point that the water pump began to suck air and then moved the sensor up and down until I found the spot where it just read zero. The trailer was level and I was fussy. The result is that as the monitor just indicates 0%, I have maybe a gallon or two before I suck air, exactly what I want. Due to the fact that the sensors can only be cut at pre marked segments the last 3/4" of the tank on the top is not monitored. That means I can go through 3 or 4 gallons before the tank monitor begins to show usage, or in other words I only read the bottom 90% of the tank. The same happens (in reverse) on the black or grey tanks. There I adjusted the position of the sensors to accurately read at the top of the tank. I did this by first emptying then measuring 23 gallons into my combined black/grey tank and adjusting the sensor to just read 100%.

I filled and emptied each tank to verify accuracy and everything is working perfectly!

Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-30 at 09-38-31.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	182197   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-31 at 09-01-05.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	182198  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-31 at 16-50-00.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	182199   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-31 at 16-51-44.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	182200  

Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Bruce,

Nice job. The installation looks great, and the control panel matches the existing switch plate.

Keep us informed of how the system operates in the long run.

A couple of questions:

How do the sensors connect to the panel -- is it just a wire connection?
How did you get to the tanks to connect the sensors -- did you drop the belly pan?

Thanks,

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Monitoring Your Monitor

I look forward to future posts about durability and performance. Thanks for providing the link to your choice. I may soon follow your lead.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkowalyk View Post
Bruce,

Nice job. The installation looks great, and the control panel matches the existing switch plate.

Keep us informed of how the system operates in the long run.

A couple of questions:

How do the sensors connect to the panel -- is it just a wire connection?
How did you get to the tanks to connect the sensors -- did you drop the belly pan?

Thanks,
The SeeLevel sensors each have a pair of wires. One is a ground the other is a signal wire. I ran new wires for each sensor and brought each ground back to the panel so I could avoid ground loops.

On our trailer the water tank is easy to access it is under the front settee. I did not have to drop the belly pan for the black/grey tank as I could get the sensor in from the top using a small hole in the floor hidden in the closet.

Bruce
Old 05-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
72 days post Surgery and I am reporting back as promised.
No problems to date. This is more than 5 times the number of days I got from the MicroPulse. It seems so strange (but very nice!) to just push the button and see a tank level indicated that is about were you expect it should be....
I will continue to report back once in a while.
Bruce
Old 06-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Now we need someone to show us with the longer Airstreams how to access the waste and water holding tanks. It doesn't look like an easy job.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
La Crescent , Minnesota
Also, knowing how to pull the wires would be helpful.
Jay
mjayjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
It is still working perfectly!
I cant help you with the wire pulls, in speaking with the dealer it is apparent that at times even they have to rethink these things as the factory builds so much of the harness into inaccessible areas.
Bruce
Old 06-04-2013, 05:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'm thinking for my 2008 Classic 25 the cables from the curbside Micropulse panel must run the street side. I think I've seen telephone like cables under the street side wardrobe access panel or behind the access panel behind the storage door under the refrigerator. There are cutouts in the subfloor under these locations and the street side shower to the waste tanks so I'm sure the wires go down to the waste tank outlet pipes.

I can't see why you couldn't use the existing wire, just cut of the RJ11 jack to expose the wires the connect to the new monitor. Then use the wire to connect to the new sensors of the new monitor system.

The real issue is pulling down the sheet metal pan to expose the two drain pipes coming off each waste tank. I'm sure AS puts the sensor in each drain pipe upstream of each valve. Downstream of the valves the pipes join together to the single delivery pipe. It appears it would've been easy for AS to put an access hatch at the bottom of the pan and just seal it with a few screws and caulk. Not only is it needed for replacing monitor sensors but what happens if you have to change out a dump valve.

The water tank is aft of the waste tanks. There is a Rotocast shell that protects the bottom of the water tank. I have no idea where the sensor could be, curbside or street side. Nor how to drop the shell.

Having a dealer replace these sensors may not be cost effective. Who knows if they even know. Maybe Colonial Airstream could do the work but I doubt my dealer, Vogt RV in DFW would have a clue. They couldn't diagnose my converter issue correctly.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Six months in and everything is still reading properly
Bruce
Old 10-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Six months in and everything is still reading properly
Bruce
What do you charge for installation?? :-)

Congrats. My micropulse is still telling me my empty black tank is full (that is, when it decides to even register the black tank - sometimes it just skips that LED altogether! ).
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Yeah! What do you charge?
Our Micropulse says the fresh water is empty even when we just filled it.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
Bruce,

Please keep us updated on your success. I, like you all, have had no luck with my Micro Pulse and I'm tired of my trailer spending more time in the shop dealing with it than on the road. I may insist the factory swap out my Micr Pulse for something that works.
Zymurbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #14
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
My EB has this system from the factory, minus the propane sensors.
Works well for me, battery scans a bit lower than my volt meter.
It could be beta testing for an across the model range, factory upgrade in the future.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
My EB has this system from the factory, minus the propane sensors.
Works well for me, battery scans a bit lower than my volt meter.
It could be beta testing for an across the model range, factory upgrade in the future.
The word is that they are switching all units to the SeeLevel units.
Long over due if you ask me!
Bruce
Old 10-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
Bruce, did you change out your tanks? The factory says I'm not a candidate for the SeeLevel because I have the "old" tanks and they are converting the new units to a new style tank and that is why they have changed electronic systems. Am I getting B.S. From Jackson Center?
Zymurbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
All I did was stick the sensors to the side of the tank!
Not sure why they are changing tanks. Maybe to eliminate inconsistencies with puddles in the bottom???
I am simply delighted that the monitor reads the same every time. My installation is very accurate too.When the fresh water says 0 % left the pump cavitates soon after. When the black water says 100% and I look down the toilet he tank is full. Same results every time for six or seven months now.....
I hear that the concern is that the sensors may unstick themselves from the tank at some point. That is easy to deal with in my trailer.
I love the system.....Perhaps a call to SeeLevel is in order?
Bruce
Old 10-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Bruce,

How does the panel indicate what reading has been selected, do the touch pad buttons light-up? Or push, read & remember.

Bob
Old 10-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Bob,
You press the button associated with the tank you want to read and the display indicates % full. It only stays illuminated for a 5 seconds unless you press the button a second time, then you get a 5 minute read. When it is in the 5 minute mode there is an led indicator that illuminates so you know.
I find that after a shower or when I begin to wonder how the tank levels are I simply push the button of the tank I want.
Now I can monitor my propane levels too! I am slowly building the most complex 16' Bambi out there......
Bruce
Old 10-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Ok, no really, Bruce - what do you charge?? :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote