......and good riddance!
I promised that I would report back after installing my new Tank monitoring system and here is my report.
The old system being removed was the factory installed Catcon MicroPulse.
Multiple replacements of sensors, control panel and wiring failed to bring the reliability I wanted so out it came.
New system chosen to replace the old is made by Garnet. I chose the model 7093PW for a number of reasons:
It has a switch for my water pump.
It has the ability to read propane tank sensors of the type used on the tanks sold by Vintage Supply in the 30 pound size (I can feel the next project taking shape...).
It uses tank sensors that literally stick to the outside of the tank thus making them impervious to the typical black tank sensor killer toilet paper. It was reasonably priced.
You can see the system here....SeeLeveL Gauges by Garnet Instruments Ltd. - Model 709-P3W
Installation was a leisurely 4 or 5 hour project over this weekend. I had to deal with creating a bezel for the new monitor as the Catcon monitor was larger than the new one. Then I used some West System epoxy and a small piece of plywood to fill one side of the old hole so the new panel screws had a place to bite (Airstream cut the hole too large for even the old panel and there were only two screws actually holding the panel in).
Finally I ran new wires (jacketed 14 gauge, tinned wire unused from an old boat project) to each sensor, boy am I glad I ran a wire pull the last time I was in there! Next each sensor is cut to length for each tank. Installing the sensors is easy-peasy, just clean the side of the tank with solvent and attach the sensor. I should point out that in the case of the 16' Airstream you can get at the water tank very easily as it is below the settee, I even had enough room to attach the black tank sensor through a hole in the floor beneath the closet. No under trailer work this time!
Finally just wire it all up and turn it on. Everything worked first time!
A couple of notes on the sensors bear discussion here. Think of these sensors as an electronic ruler that sees the tank level and reports back to the panel. The placement of the sensor on the side of the tank is critical if you are concerned about accuracy. For my fresh water tank I ran the tank to the point that the water pump began to suck air and then moved the sensor up and down until I found the spot where it just read zero. The trailer was level and I was fussy. The result is that as the monitor just indicates 0%, I have maybe a gallon or two before I suck air, exactly what I want. Due to the fact that the sensors can only be cut at pre marked segments the last 3/4" of the tank on the top is not monitored. That means I can go through 3 or 4 gallons before the tank monitor begins to show usage, or in other words I only read the bottom 90% of the tank. The same happens (in reverse) on the black or grey tanks. There I adjusted the position of the sensors to accurately read at the top of the tank. I did this by first emptying then measuring 23 gallons into my combined black/grey tank and adjusting the sensor to just read 100%.
I filled and emptied each tank to verify accuracy and everything is working perfectly!