Old 08-31-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Canada , Manitoba
"Funky" smell

After few camping trips under our belt we notice a “funky” (almost like standing water, urine or something…) smell in the camper that wasn’t there when we purchased it earlier this year. I don’t know the source of it yet so we are in the investigative stage. Are there any tank exhaust vents or A/C vents that could cause the smell?

I know the clean water holding tank is leaking at the bottom (water completely leaked out) so my next step is to remove the underbelly panels to see what’s going on under there…

SnoSheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Climb up on top and make sure the black plastic pipes that pierce the shell for 'stack vents' have not slid & settled downward so they vent half-in half-out of the trailer. There should be a stretch black rubber membrane gasket for weather seal inside the vent moldings... they age and disappear too.

Also - the vapor lock of sink & shower drains traps depend on sitting water to be present in the U-shaped fittings; traveling, high wind and even wiggly trailers from walking inside w/o stabilizers can slew enough water downhill away from the trap that they may 'burp' stack gas (polite term for holding tank content aromatics) into the living area. Every time you stop for the day add some water to the drains & have some sort of drain plug in the sinks and tub for while you travel.

Also - check the toilet flange fasteners & gaskets: age and weak flooring from half-forever ago seeps can allow gas & traveling sloshing to reach the passenger compartment.

I'm sure others may chime in - thats only the quick list

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
1975 24' Argosy 24
Oakville , Ontario
i was getting a funky smell last week in my 75 argosy 24 motorhome. When we would start driving it smelled like a swamp, wasnt' the black water tank. I also had a fowl smell coming from the water in the hot water tank. I've drained the tanks but what else should i do?
jgwild is offline   Reply With Quote