Old 10-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Is there enough room for Airstream to have coiled a braid hose in a loop so all you needed to do is pull out the valve to access the hose clamp? I'm trying to envision how Airstream assembles the water tank and the outer Rotocast shell with the short hose. Also the low point drains come through the bottom of the shell with metal petcocks. They should just use the same petcock for the FW drain.

Kelvin

Old 10-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Is there enough room for Airstream to have coiled a braid hose in a loop so all you needed to do is pull out the valve to access the hose clamp? I'm trying to envision how Airstream assembles the water tank and the outer Rotocast shell with the short hose. Also the low point drains come through the bottom of the shell with metal petcocks. They should just use the same petcock for the FW drain.

Kelvin
First, you need to careful about the layout so the tank will drain properly. A coiled tube would like get a kink in it and block the flow.

In terms of how it is assembled, it is likely assembled as a unit in the black tub and then raised and strapped to the frame. I am making an assumption here but it is an educated one since I had to replace my freshwater tank and am intimately familiar with the layout on mine.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Makes sense about the installation. Glad they thought about maintainability.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Mine appears also to have a small leak permeating from behind the white base with the two screws - mine appears to have a pre cut access panel under it

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:26 AM   #19
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I jacked and chocked my AS then Removed tire for easier access. Remove the access panel, loosen the screw hose clamp, unscrew valve body from metal tray and pull out while holding the hose. A little twisting will help relieve the valve from the hose.

Reverse sequence.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:42 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I haven't replaced my fresh water tank drain valve yet, but it would have been nice if Airstream made access panels for that and the tank sensors.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:49 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
Fresh water tank drain valve replacement

Funny, I repaired my leak by replacing the little plastic hose , ( less then $5.00 ) and when I went to drain the fresh tank for winterizing, the damn plastic calve handle broke, cutting my finger. Next spring, I need to replace that cheap pos ..
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Our first year with the 2006 traveling a gravel road in Nevada the plastic valve was sheared off by a piece of gravel. Broke it clean off. I just happened to back up where a hot spring was steaming and noticed I was leaving a trail of water. Thinking it was the tow vehicle, I stopped and discovered the fresh water tank was draining in the desert.... Ouch.

The first town had an ACE Hardware store and I bought a small cork for 8 cents or so. Did not fit, got a smaller one and it fit fine. Bought some extras, corked the open hole, took some picture frame wire and put one end around one philips head screw. Then across the cork to hold it in place and the other end of the wire secured by the opposite side philips head screw, securing the wire and cork.

Worked perfect. When we had a list of "to do's" for Jackson Center, Ohio the fantastic Airstream warranty team looked at my "cork work" and said they would replace the valve. Which they did and while doing so, I asked if they would attach a piece of sheet metal on the front and rear open areas to prevent it from happening again. Now the valve had protection from all directions.

Since I purchased a "spare white plastic valve" at the parts center... and had spare corks... nothing ever happened to the valve again. They said if you are repairing it yourself... not to let the part that the valve is attached to find its way into the compartment that holds the plastic water container...

So, if you find yourself in a situation you are not sure what to do:
1 small cork
5 inches of flexible picture frame wire